Thanks Ron!!!

And....the 2018 edition is out!

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/calendar.html

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    And....the 2018 edition is out!

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/calendar.html

Ron Wanttaja
    Ron, any idea how many bi-plane Fly Baby's have been built? Flown? In existence?

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    Ron, any idea how many bi-plane Fly Baby's have been built? Flown? In existence?
    I have photos of thirteen of them, including the prototype, and know of one other that has been permanently switched back to monoplane. I'm guessing the total was less than two dozen. There are two currently for sale, one in Canada and the other in Latvia. The Canadian one is brand new, with a VW and a reduction drive. I haven't heard how well it works. They're looking for three times what a flyable monoplane is going for.

I did get a kick out this: A California artist wanted to incorporate an "old biplane" into one of her paintings, and she chanced upon a photo of Al Hatz's Fly Baby:

Ron Wanttaja

Sadly I got no pictures of the FlyBaby at SERFI this year.

He had made it up to look like a WWI J1, with the fake rear gunner, mesh "radiator," and even little cans with wingnuts on the top of the cowling to simulate the correct engine.

Best of all, he wrapped it in vinyl to fake off the corrugated metal of the original - and it was damned convincing. I don't know if it happened or not, but us judges pressed hard for recognition of his aircraft in some way with the poohbahs in charge.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Sadly I got no pictures of the FlyBaby at SERFI this year.

He had made it up to look like a WWI J1, with the fake rear gunner, mesh "radiator," and even little cans with wingnuts on the top of the cowling to simulate the correct engine.

Best of all, he wrapped it in vinyl to fake off the corrugated metal of the original - and it was damned convincing. I don't know if it happened or not, but us judges pressed hard for recognition of his aircraft in some way with the poohbahs in charge.
    The "Boche Baby" modification is getting more and more popular. The one you saw at SERFI is the fourth that I know of, and the second in the US. If you download the calendar picture page, you'll see the other American version as Miss April.

The Fly Baby version has a vague resemblance to the original, but is a lot less "chunkier" (and less ugly, IMHO). The one Frank saw is the first one to attempt to mimic the corrugated skin of the original. The rest just use the late-war German camouflages, including the "lozenge" scheme. The ironic thing is, there's an RC model company who sells an Almost Ready to Fly "Junkers CL1," and it's the Fly Baby version. The model company is German. You'd think they'd want to depict the actual aircraft.

The first example, G-BNPV, was owned by the late John Day, and the airplane had been one of the only Fly Babies that had both sets of wings. Suspect the biplane wings are cobwebbed in storage, even if they still exist.

One prospective builder is interested in doing the "Boche Baby" bit on a Fly Baby BIPLANE. I was intrigued, and redrew an existing drawing to get a feel for what it might look like:

It gave me the chance to try out the late-war German purple camouflage.

Looks pretty darn good, I think. Again, there's nothing more than cosmetic modifications here....

Ron "Looks good enough to shoot" Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 12-01-2017 at 01:00 AM.

I saw the one in the calendar, which prompted my post.

The vinyl wrap job was insanely good. The builder had put a second layer on the leading edges and the lines all matched up perfectly. I hate to say it, but if I were to try and line up four inches of tape line to line on the leading edge of a wing for the full length in one piece it would be a zipper.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

I don't want to mess up your calendar thread, but have you seen this one? It was at the SERFI fly in at Evergreen, AL last October

Name:  20171021_104950_resized.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  96.9 KB

Name:  20171021_105004_resized.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  96.0 KB

Pretty cool.

Dale
    Dale Cavin
    Florida Panhandle
    Current Project: Airdrome Aeroplanes Full Size Nieuport 17

Quote Originally Posted by bookmaker View Post
    I don't want to mess up your calendar thread, but have you seen this one? It was at the SERFI fly in at Evergreen, AL last October
    Yes, that's the one Frank's referring to in Post #6. I knew about it, but didn't have any high-resolution shots that showed the entire bird (the calendar is designed for printing). No problem missing the calendar this year, I've done a Fly Baby calendar for the past 15 years, and will just put it in the queue for 2019.

Ron Wanttaja