Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: HUGE Super 8 Appleton disappointment today

I agree that the OP (and others with similar stories) got shafted when the companies upped their quoted prices. But I do not criticize companies that raise the prices of inessential services or products (such as hotel rooms) when the demand is higher. That's called "Capitalism." If the price is more than you want to pay, then don't pay it.

Another factor to consider is the fact that the profits from Airventure pay for better facilities than one might normally expect. I travel to Oshkosh 3-4 times a year, typically staying in the Hilton. I drive right by the Super 8 to get there, and I rarely see many cars in the parking lot. It may not even exist, if it wasn't for the big summer show (though I believe there are other events in the area as well).

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by L16 Pilot View Post
    I realize my points aren't going to change anything and in fact I can drive in although I'm on the other side of the state. I've also flown in and camped under the wing. But it still gets down to price gouging and they charge it because they know someone "with money" will pay but it won't be me. Paying $300-400 a night for a place to sleep and a shower is not reasonable in my budget.
    You are absolutely correct. It is also a nearly universal fact of life for every hotel, rental car agency, etc. wherever there is a major seasonal event. Try to book a hotel and rental car in Houston in early February ($950 for the Holiday Inn Express), or in Louisville during the Derby (1100+ for the Hilton Garden Inn), or stay within 50 miles of Sturgis during the rally. This really should not surprise anyone.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

To chime back in from my original post - I have stated that I have NO problem with seasonal/special event pricing for any goods or services- it is indeed how capitalism works. MY sole issue revolves around having a quoted and confirmed motel reservation at a published rate and then having that rate quadrupled FOUR months later without recourse beyond cancellation. That is a business practice that stinks in my honest opinion The Super 8 in Appleton is guilty of creating that kind of stink.

The question is, does the entire motel/rental car industry engage in the stinky process of not honoring reservations? Or is it just Super 8 and Hertz?

I am guessing it is widespread. What if instead of a reservation, you actually paid for the hotel room in advance?
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

I think they can breach any contract. It would be up to the individual to initiate court action. Pre payment may or may not help. I think they used to require pre payment and this may be a new stinky practice to avoid a contract.
    Anybody know?

FWIW, I have no doubt that a contract was formed. The only question is how to enforce it. The ultimate answer to that lies in the court system, and for the amount involved, it's unrealistic. Especially for someone who must come from any distance for court, it's completely unrealistic to enforce. During almost 47 years of practicing law, I had to tell many, many people who had legitimate legal grounds that their cases just weren't worth the money to pursue, let alone the personal angst, time, and energy. Once in awhile, I'd have clients that would say (and mean it) that they wanted to do it anyway, expense and inconvenience be damned, upon the basic principle that they weren't going to be screwed, period. But most of the time, that didn't happen, because realism set in.

In today's world, social media is powerful. Being careful to accurately state the facts, that might be the best way to go. But in the meanwhile, buy a good tent and camp at Scholler or under a wing, because even if you're successful, Airventure is only 6 months away.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

That's exactly right, they saw my out of state address and moved into action. After Hertz breached my 12 month advance reservation I found another company. That company had a scheme to screw me also and pad their rental bill.
    Like this:
    I returned the vehicle to the marked spot and an agent quickly met me inside and said : " everything for the return is done, you are all set. Then he said do you need a receipt". I said "of course " and then I asked him if the vehicle was clean enough and everything in order. He said yes and went for the receipt.
    I was late for a ride to the airport so glad to just grab the receipt and go. But I looked at the receipt and the bill was much lower that I expected. I told him " this bill looks low". He said " no no, you are good to go". So I left.
    After I get off the airline and called my wife she said the rental company had called her and said I had never returned the vehicle.
    Great!
    I call them early the next day and by then they tell me they found the vehicle. Ok fine.
    The next day they email me a copy of a different contract* at a much higher mileage than what I recorded. I call again and the person won't believe me. I ask for a manager. No manager.
    So they bill my ViISA card $100 more than actual amount. After repeated calls I gave up and file a merchant complaint with VISA.
    Most would give up. Not me.
    I checked the companies website and others had reported the same exact scam!
    After several rounds of letters and replies from the company and me to VISA, the VISA negotiator called me and she reversed the overcharge! I won this time.

Who knows what else they will pull next time... If I ever rent a vehicle.

*the contract copy I had received after returning the vehicle was for a different customer! I didn't notice their contract mistake till I got home. I still believe the "mistake" was intentional.
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 02-01-2017 at 11:33 PM.

Re the 200$ the OP mentioned. Wow!! Last year we paid an average of 144 $ per day (min 55$, max 168$ during the week) in the Super 8. It came to a whopping 1285,-- for the whole week Sunday to Sunday.

Maybe I'll go for the camp next time.

Cheers,
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by roger-wilco-66 View Post
    to It came to a whopping 1285,-- for the whole week Sunday to Sunday.

Maybe I'll go for the camp next time.
    Camp Scholler will be ~$200 for the week. All you need is a $1000 camper to make the experience "priceless"