Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: HUGE Super 8 Appleton disappointment today

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    The motel and the local Chamber of Commerce have chimed in - the long answer in unimportant, the short version is "Have a nice day and don't let that door strike yer buttocks on the way out." The best they offered was to reduce the new daily rate from a bit over $200 to $180 a night. I declined the opportunity to pay over three times the original quoted rate.

I am NOT shocked that the Super 8 Appleton joins the majority of local inns in raising their rates during AirVenture to near usury numbers. When a low end place like Motel 6 is getting $200+ a night I reckon anything goes.

Caveat Emptor
    I'm appalled that this is the response you received so far, very sad.

Once again, I'd like to suggest that you contact the Appleton Post-Crescent, the daily newspaper(from my previous list of things you can do).If you go to their website you'll find a 1-800 number and the name of the News Director with his direct phone number and email.

You are very right to say caveat emptor when it comes to consumer protection for it always applies BEFORE a purchase. But in your case, you could never have reasonably been expected to believe that you would have to protect yourself against such shoddy business practices by a brand name company after the booking/business transaction was completed. So it's really beware of unscrupulous, unethical, immoral business practices. The only way someone can do this is if your situation becomes a public matter. So help others avoid the same future fate.

The hotel said it was a "mistake". You know that's BS. It's reasonable to conclude that the hotel has also screwed many other hotel guests who booked when you did for the Osh time period. Once you've made the same "mistake" repeatedly, it's no longer a mistake--it's a CHOICE. The hotel and booking site made that choice, you should not have to face the consequences.

Byron J. Covey
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron J. Covey View Post
    I don't like the price gouging, but I would like government intervention into the free market even less.

BJC
    Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Congratulations. You've become a card carrying member of the group that devoutly believes they can suck and blow at the same time.
    I have no idea what you mean by that, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you requested.

BJC

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron J. Covey View Post
    I have no idea what you mean by that...BJC
    "Explaining this is like dissecting a frog. You understand it better but the frog dies in the process."

E.B. White
    Humorist, author of Charlotte's Web

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Wrong attitude. You must always speak up when you have been treated unfairly. How else to correct blatant wrongs?

Where did you get your legal education? My lawyer daughter and law school son say you should ask for your tuition money back.
    Thank you for correcting me. I deleted my post. Sorry, everyone.

Byron J. Covey
    Quote Originally Posted by byron j. Covey View Post
    i don't like the price gouging, but i would like government intervention into the free market even less.

Bjc
    Quote Originally Posted by floatsflyer View Post
    congratulations. You've become a card carrying member of the group that devoutly believes they can suck and blow at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by floatsflyer
    anyways, provide me with the benefit of the doubt as i am suffering from the prolonged influences and impacts of dt syndrome, a very recently diagnosed medical condition for which i have sought out counselling. These are militant times. Everyone is eager to join a team.everyone has a strong opinion. Everyone is mad about something. Wish me well.
    ok

bjc

I reserved a Hertz rental car for Osh 2015 about a year in advance at $189 for the week from Green Bay.
    About two months before July I received an email of a price adjustment to $770!
    All calls failed to get a manager, I gave up and cancelled.
    They don't take a card number for the reservation. I figure a reservation is worthless.

I gave up on rental cars to Osh.

Some thing happened to me at a OSH motel. I booked at the normal rate....but about a month before EAA....the rate tuned RED 000.00 in the computer reservation....and a phone inquirey about the red confirmed that the rate would be $300.00. Take it or leave it. I left it and moved on.

The whole process still gets down to price gouging. Someone previously called it 'value pricing' but it's gouging to me. As they are private businesses it's most likely legal but not ethical in my mind. As I previously posted my wife and I ran a business for many years and we never raised prices just because it was the 'busy time of the year".
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

No one likes the high prices of rooms or rental cars, but is it realistic to expect them to stay the same as non event weeks? Can you rent a room for the same price Kentucky Derby week as year round or Indy 500, or Super Bowl week, etc.?
    I had friends visit in summer and a nice 3.5 star room was $150, if they wanted the same room, across the street from the ski lift at Christmas it was $600.
    I once made a reservation at one of the best hotels, close in at Osh, then got to thiining that the prices were too good to be true. Sure enough, I had the wrong dates, it was a week before EAA event!
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 01-18-2017 at 11:27 AM.

I realize my points aren't going to change anything and in fact I can drive in although I'm on the other side of the state. I've also flown in and camped under the wing. But it still gets down to price gouging and they charge it because they know someone "with money" will pay but it won't be me. Paying $300-400 a night for a place to sleep and a shower is not reasonable in my budget. Reminds me of the local gasoline cartel where the price was 10-15 cents higher per gallon than some of the surrounding area (all the prices were raised at the same time or within an hour at all stations). That is, until a new place came into the area and started charging a much lower price per gallon and all of a sudden gas prices went down to a more reasonable level.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!