Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HUGE Super 8 Appleton disappointment today

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    I don't know, I saw a lot of these RV's stuck in the mud the week I spent at Osh. But some day I hope to own a 40' Tiffin with 4 slides. I will then drive it to Osh. That day is coming.

I get there the week before.
    We've stayed at Sleepy Hollow for 14 years. I had Jeff pour a concrete pad for my MH......I don't get stuck.
    I have a 38' Fleetwood Bounder, 3 slides, diesel pusher.

I recognize that the business model for most all motels/hotels within a 50-60 mile radius of Wittman regional is to 'gouge' the tourist during AirVenture. No doubt many make the bulk of their year by doing so. But paying a stated rate upfront is far cry from changing horses in mid-stream and bait & switching many months later. I have made my opinions known to the local Chambers of Commerce in Appleton.

I shall persevere and endure. As I mentioned in my original posting, my angst is tempered by having a back-up motel in hand, even though it is not in as convenient a location. Had that not been the case, this bait/switch WOULD likely have cost me the opportunity to attend AirVenture 2017 and I do dearly love tram conducting as a volunteer, but not enough to go deep into debt to do so.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dougbush View Post
    Chicagorandy, chalk it up to experience. You didn't have a valid contract because it was over $500, but not in writing, signed by the party you want to hold responsible, and there was no exchange (i.e., you didn't pay a deposit).
    Wrong attitude. You must always speak up when you have been treated unfairly. How else to correct blatant wrongs?

Where did you get your legal education? My lawyer daughter and law school son say you should ask for your tuition money back.

Quote Originally Posted by L16 Pilot View Post
    My wife I stayed at the airport Super 8 several years ago for a symposium at the EAA museum. .
    That was the Super 8 Oshkosh (the one next to Friar Tuck's), no? He's talking about a different property.

Right! That's the one I was thinking of but having said that I never understood (well, I do as far as 'gouging') the fact that businesses have to raise their prices just because there is a demand. Quick example: my wife owned an awards business (trophies, plaques, engraving) for many years. I can't ever remember her raising the prices just because we became 'seasonal busy' in the spring or whenever there was a high demand. The only time prices were raised was if our vendors of parts raised their prices. Even then if we had a price commitment we kept it.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!

Imagine if your favorite eatem-up joint did this. When it was time to eat they would get busy so raise prices.

When in high school and working washing dishes trying to make some cash. The manager of this place would cover the prices on the menu. This was a buffet style dinner. He would then make a sign that said special. Put this over the covered price then raise the price by .25 cents. We would serve around a few hundred customers during dinner. He would pocket all the extra he made. Lets just say, one day I chased him around the parking lot with my car. He had to take a jump into the dumpster to get away. Right were he belonged, as do people who raise prices when they get busy. Throw them in the trash then take the trash out.

Tony

I don't have any issue with value-based pricing. Retailers do it al the time, the often repeated example used here is jacking up the cost of a 30 cent bottle of water to $4 at an outdoor event during the last week of July. Merchant obviously thinks value of that cold bottle of water is worth his asking price and consumers will agree. Consumer has the option of deciding if value of product is worth the price or not. I've been to hundreds of restaurants that have one menu for lunch and a different menu for dinner the only difference being price adjusted for perceived value of the meal at a particular time period. Restaurants that have same price all day long starts with the letters McD and I never eat there.

Somewhat different to quote and confirm a price, then later renege on that contract, which is what happened in the OP.
    Last edited by martymayes; 12-28-2016 at 08:23 AM.

There is no CONTRACT here. It may be unethical, but isn't illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    I don't have any issue with value-based pricing. Retailers do it al the time, the often repeated example used here is jacking up the cost of a 30 cent bottle of water to $4 at an outdoor event during the last week of July. Merchant obviously thinks value of that cold bottle of water is worth his asking price and consumers will agree. Consumer has the option of deciding if value of product is worth the price or not. I've been to hundreds of restaurants that have one menu for lunch and a different menu for dinner the only difference being price adjusted for perceived value of the meal at a particular time period. Restaurants that have same price all day long starts with the letters McD and I never eat there.

Somewhat different to quote and confirm a price, then later renege on that contract, which is what happened in the OP.
    Maybe today. But in the time period I am speaking not so much. This was a steak house. Not many around today. Huge place that had a huge indoor grill cooking over an open flame. Maybe today these practices are ok " raising prices to suit ones needs" but not so much in years past. Most people had morals and ethics.

Tony