Thread: Good Instrument Flying Books?

Good Instrument Flying Books?

One of my favorite books on instrument flying is; "Weather Flying" by Howard Buck. He also wrote, "North Star Over My Shoulder" another great book. You might want to check out my ASA book; "Teaching Confidence in the Clouds". It gets five stars on Amazon.

Do you have any other suggested books on instrument flying?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

For actual learning flying, Peter Dogan's book is probably the best presentation I've seen.

For getting something your tax dollars has already paid for: download the Instrument Flying Handbook and the Instrument Procedures Handbook

I agree on both of the book recommendations from Ron. Dogan was a genius innovator and author when he wrote his book and introduced the ten day instrument rating program. He never lived long enough to realize the full success of his program. I was one of the contract PIC instructors with many fond memories of training my clients I was assigned to work with. The old ATC-610 desktop simulator did a fine job during the early days of the program, but now they are now using the new high tech FTS TouchTrainer sims with glass. It is a far cry from the old ATC box and even the next level of BATD desktop trainers. It is a great ten day program, but you can still buy the Dogan Instrument Flying book without signing up for the ten day program.

I thought "The Complete Advanced Pilot" by Bob Gardner was pretty good.

aircraft-specific, but has a lot of basic info that's applicable to any aircraft:
    https://www.cnatra.navy.mil/pubs/folder5/T6B/P-765.PDF

and a more general manual:
    https://info.publicintelligence.net/...ightManual.pdf

your tax dollars at work.

Missed this thread earlier. Richard Taylor's Instrument Flying is a really good text. He was an Ohio State aviation professor, now retired, and he's kept his book pretty current.

I second Buck's Weather Flying, but both the original author and his son are Robert, not Howard (sorry, Tom). There is truly no better book on weather flying. Robert N., the father, was an old time airliner pilot, cutting his teeth on DC-3s and DC-4s, which had to stay lower "in the weather" due to no pressurization, so his advice is very relevant to most GA flying. He retired as a 747 pilot and died about 10 years ago, in his 90s. His son, Robert O., is also an airliner pilot, and he has done a masterful job of updating Weather Flying.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee