Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ADS-B out issue with aerobatics?

I’ve now got several acro hours in my Extra following ADS-B In/Out installation. No issues yet with FAA. I’ll update this thread if the situation changes.
    Mark

Thanks for the information! Could you describe your ADS-B out equipment? I suspect the errors are mostly when th e GPS loses lock, and some systems may have longer delay times than others, that is, they don't unlock as quickly. But I am no expert.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRogge View Post
    I’ve now got several acro hours in my Extra following ADS-B In/Out installation. No issues yet with FAA. I’ll update this thread if the situation changes.
    Mark

Hi Ernie,
    It’s the Stratus/Appario equipment. The antenna is located immediately behind the luggage tray.
    mark

What if Feds created a discrete squawk code while doing Acro or other maneuvering that vexes ADS-B...say 1207 or such?I have been contacted by Feds because my low altitude maneuvering also generates a similar error.

if while VFR, you dialed 1207, it would give the Feds a way to “ignore” the NIC/NAC (Patti Waco) (sorry) fluctuations.

The ADS-B and EFB manufacturers could flag the 1207 code to alert you to a manuervering airplane.

ted

There are several possible solutions, but I suspect most if not all would require software changes on the ATC host systems. $$ There are other problems. A friend told me about formation flying if all had ADS-B in and out. They elected to turn three off, but that is against the regs.

Seems like basically the FAA is going to have to get seriously interested in solving problems before anything useful happens.

Has anyone ever been grounded due to this issue with acro flight? I'm not aware of that happening but may just be naïve to the consequences. Letter, sure. Grounding, really?
    Ernie's right. And thanks go to Mike H and others at IAC for working to resolve this issue.
    Mark

Flying in formation, if multiple airplanes squawk, the ATC computer munges all of the replys into the VFR code of 1200. If an ATC code is requested by the formation lead, all other formation participants must set their transponder to standby.

Unfortunately, the empirical evidence suggests that the FAA staff doing nexgen and ADS-B appear to have limited experience with all of the aviation activities that exist out in the real world. If ADS-B is to be successful, the problems that we know about will have to be solved. We can hope that EAA, IAC, and AOPA will push hard at the FAA to correct the FAA's deficiencies.

Best of luck,

Wes