Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ADS-B out issue with aerobatics?

Just wondering if there are any updates available on the ADS-B/aerobatics issues. This from the article on the IAC website: "IAC will be represented at an FAA/EAA Summit Meeting in Oshkosh on the 7th-8th of February 2017 and will continue to press this issue. More working group meetings are planned in Washington in March at which IAC will also be represented."
    Last edited by Ernie; 04-16-2017 at 10:05 PM.

Nothing to report. We did discuss this with FAA again and FAA has promised no enforcement action against ADS-B Out equipped aircraft that perform aerobatics and then show anamolies in the performance reports. As you are no doubt aware, you can get performance reports on the internet now. IAC recommends that after installing the equipment, you make a 30 minute flight or so that is normal -- no aerobatics. Then, download your report and carry it with you in the airplane -- showing your performance is normal.

What we are lacking at this moment is written, hard-copy FAA policy on this. We only have these verbal assurances. I think their promise of no enforcement action is assuring, but as always, we like it in writing. IAC will continue to work on that.

Mike Heuer
    President, IAC

Thanks for the update. I find it troubling that the FAA won't put the assurance in writing. I would hate to install ADS-B and then have a new requirement added for aerobatic compliance.