Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ADS-B out issue with aerobatics?

Question ADS-B out issue with aerobatics?

I received an email from IAC about a problem with ADSB out and aerobatics. Just spent a few minutes on the IAC website looking for an update and could find nothing on the subject at all.

What gives?

Re: ADS-B out issue with aerobatics?

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    I received an email from IAC about a problem with ADSB out and aerobatics. Just spent a few minutes on the IAC website looking for an update and could find nothing on the subject at all.

What gives?
    Hi Ernie.

I agree, that information belongs on the IAC web site. We'll fix that oversight shortly and I'll post back here when it's done.

Regards,
    DJ Molny, Webmaster
    International Aerobatic Club
    webmaster@iac.org

DJ Molny brought my attention to this thread and I have provided him a short article a few minutes ago with an update. He can announce when it is up on the IAC website.

Mike Heuer
    President, IAC

Hi Ernie.

The info is now up on the web site: https://www.iac.org/news/2016-12-17-ads-b-update

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Regards,
    DJ Molny, Webmaster
    International Aerobatic Club
    webmaster@iac.org

Thanks! I am likely never going beyond Primary, but I have been considering ADS-B since I need to replace my transponder and the Trig solution looks appealing. And a loop is a loop for ADS-B I suspect.

One of our members wrote the following -- in another forum -- and I invite your comments.

Has there been any mention of the "diversity" option (antennas top and bottom) available on some ADS-B transponders and UATs? Just curious; I fly with both a WAAS (GNS-420) and non-WAAS GPS onboard, and I notice that the WAAS takes up to several minutes to lock back on to the satellites after returning to straight and level, which would no doubt obviate any advantage in the "diversity" antenna solution unless the GPS unit is so equipped as well.

My primary airplane is a 1929 Waco ATO. The reason I am looking at the Trig solution is that there is no room for much. The panel depth is about 5" and there is no more room. I have a com radio and a transponder and they are in their own enclosure next to my right knee. An antenna on the bottom would work. A larger transponder, more avionics, not so much. I have to believe the Pitts crowd has a similar problem.

As noted above, the big problem is that the GPS receiver doesn't like it when the airplane is rolled inverted and the antenna can't see satellites.

And all of the aerobatic biplanes are small enough so that they don't have room for a lot of control heads, boxes, or antennas.

So the ATC people will have to live with the Mode C telling them altitude and position.

ADS-B is another example of a government program where it never occurred to the staff writing the specs that some people use airplanes to have fun.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

Byron J. Covey
    Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    ADS-B is another example of a government program where it never occurred to the staff writing the specs that some people use airplanes to have fun.
    How would they know, without an FAR that mandates fun?

BJC