Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Continental A-40 / A40 for sale

Yes, I had one deal I worked out in the spring of 2018. After we worked out the deal, he was going to make shipping arrangements to the Midwest, but I never heard back from the prospective buyer after several attempts to contact him. The deal was fair and in line with the selling prices I've seen for similar engines in similar condition. I've also had several "generous" offers to come take it off my hands for free. It doesn't cost me anything to keep it inside my dry building. I can get more for it from a scrap dealer than giving it to someone for free who'll get something more valuable than a few hours of their time and their gas money in exchange for giving me a blank space in my building. If all I wanted was the scrap price, I would have hauled it off long ago and wouldn't have bothered putting it up for sale.
    Last edited by JenniferCL; 01-20-2019 at 08:50 PM.

Jennifer,

What you have is of interest to only a small handful of people in the world. Only a very few of those are aware that it's for sale. It may take a while to move it. You might want to also advertise it on Barnstormers.com if you haven't already. Good luck finding a suitable new home for it.

Dale
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

How about double the scrap value?

Thanks for the suggestion Dale. I'll take a look at that. I figured since EAA was so large, this would be a good place to advertise. I'm going to look at Trade-A-Plane, also.

EDIT: I had an ad composed at Barnstormers.com, but the preview showed it was going to display my full name and telephone numbers. Too easy for a scammer to skim my information and harass me, so I deleted the ad before posting it.
    Last edited by JenniferCL; 01-22-2019 at 10:36 PM.

No, Marty. If I'm going to the trouble to sell it and prep it for shipping (if necessary), I need to get a better return on it than that.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferCL View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion Dale. I'll take a look at that. I figured since EAA was so large, this would be a good place to advertise. I'm going to look at Trade-A-Plane, also.
    Homebuiltairplanes.com would be a good place to advertise too. A lot of the folks over there are looking for (or dreaming about) low and slow, which is a good landing place for an A-40.

Thanks Kyle. I'll try that too.

EDIT: I realized that my husband created an account at Homebuiltairplanes.com and posted a similar ad already. The ad here in the EAA marketplace had much more visibility and traffic than the one at Homebuiltairplanes.com
    Last edited by JenniferCL; 01-28-2019 at 09:01 PM.

Just my opinion, but an A-40 is a valuable piece of history, although not particularly desirable as an aircraft engine by today's standards. If you itemize your deductions, it is possible to write off a significant value by donating it as parts to a non-profit museum towards restoration of an early A-40 Cub or something similar. The tax write off would likely be where you might get the most value out of that engine.

My husband and I do itemize our deductions, but our experience has been that if we file for a credit, 100% of the credit comes off the bottom line of our taxes, but if it's a deduction, less than 10% of the value of the donation actually shows up in the refund. We'd have to significantly over-value the donation (iow, lie about the true value) to knock enough off our taxes to equal what we could get if we sell it outright. If we only value it at the going rate for similar engines we've seen sell, we'll only get about the scrap value off our taxes.

Bumping up for visibility. The engine is still available.

Jennifer