Quote Originally Posted by hiflyer View Post
I haven't cut the block or created any ribs at this point.
Reduction of the wing span was to increase wing loading, the Ercoupe wing is very light and does cause some stability upset in bumpy air.

If I recall thye RV's also use the 23012

I am not opposed to looking at other options, but do plan on maintaining the anti stall/spin of the Ercoupe
I'm not sure what airfoil Richard used on his RVs I know he told me at one time too. I also remember he talked about using another airfoil at one time years back (something like 30 years ago)

To keep it anti-stall/anti-spin I would look at any of Ribletts airfoils that have max thickness 25%. Harry says a 15% thick is just about ideal for lift and drag... You just have to decide what camber line you want to use... The high the arc of the camber line the more lift the wing will make also when the lift goes up so does the drag.

Part of that stability issues in bumpy air is the airfoil and the other is the control stop settings (READ lack of control surface throw, that also makes for lack of control authority when it's really needed) that they imposed to get their anti stall/spin-ness for the Ercoupe.

Part of me wanted to ask you if you still drove a Model T or Model A??? If not why not? After all they work. The 23012 came out about the same time as the Model A.... Yes better cars have come along over the years as have airfoils so why not use them?

I have no qualms of using any Riblett airfoil if it fits my needs... The man has the guts to put his name on his airfoils. Can that be said of any of the airfoils that NACA or NASA have put out there? Have any NASA designers put their name with any of the airfoils they say are the next best thing for GA? They almost always use group this and group that... So far everyone that has used a Riblett on their aircraft design are happy with what it does... The same can't be said for NASA airfoils.