Thread: Dose auto engine available to convert to aero using?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Viking motors

I *so* want to believe this. The claimed numbers and the price are exceptional. But there's that weaseley word "claimed". It scares the living daylights out of me, especially when it comes to something I'm going to bet my life on.

There's a lot to like: low-cost repairs, fuel injection, lost of power, liquid cooling making safe cabin heat a possibility, etc. But then I think of all those WWII Naval aviators who made it back despite losing major portions of their air-cooled engines and I think "what really matters to me?" That's when I get cold feet. We all complain about how conservative the aviation community is, but there's a damned good reason. With our small numbers, we don't have enough "volunteers" on the bleeding edge to get the kind of statistical sample needed to be able to reliably identify and correct the majority of the issues. I'm sure there are a few Viking customers who have 1000 trouble-free hours. What worries me is how many are going to have major issues just as the guys who bought into the Subaru conversions did a few years back. This time it may well be different. But past is prologue and, given the choice, I want a larger body of other peoples experience to refer to before I'll stake my life on certain things.
    Last edited by Bunkie; 12-02-2016 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Grammar correction