Thread: Warbird instruments & artifacts available

Warbird instruments & artifacts available

Hi all, new to the forum,

I've recently posted warbird instruments, indicators, and gauges on-line at AeroAntique http://aeroantique.com/.
    There you will find military aviation artifacts, primarily instruments, from the 1940s thru 1970's. Many items are listed with photos and description, but you'll also find items by type, manufacturer, and part number on searchable tables. A master list can be downloaded for future reference. Some helpful instrument reference documents are available to download as pdf's.

Most items were procured by an instrument repair business during the 80's-90's in bulk buys during the closure/liquidations of US military air bases. You will also see several interesting artifacts procured for my 'private collection' (e.g. a Wimperis bombsight) that you might enjoy.

The mission is to get these instruments back into circulation for restoration projects or collectors where they can do some good. Proceeds are used to procure other interesting artifacts (e.g., that Wimperis bombsight), enjoy them, then eventually donate them to aviation museums when its time to close the door.

Please feel free to reach out anytime.

JT
    2banaviator

It'd be nice to see some target prices, for the "Private Collection" stuff.

I just got back from a trip to Minneapolis, and I picked up Fairchild aircraft sextant practically identical to yours:

http://aeroantique.com/collections/n...irchild-camera

For while, I thought yours was a picture of the one I bought, since the layout inside the case was identical. Finally noticed the battery brand in my box was different.....

Ron Wanttaja

Artifacts in the 'private collection' are either the hardest to find (e.g., the Wimperis Bombsight) or technically very interesting (e.g., the C-1 Autopilot control panel). We have let a few of these items go to aviation museums at our original acquisition cost (in fulfillment of our mission), or to collectors who made offers we couldn't refuse. 'Target prices' can always be researched on eBay, but happy to share our thoughts on the value of any artifact, either in our collection or about something you are considering procuring.

Our A-10A Bubble Sextant was originally procured in non-working condition for $40 but with all parts intact, including the bubble (the batteries are just Duracells, for show). It was disassembled completely, cleaned, and reassembled to functional condition. I have a pdf copy of the "Handbook of Instructions with Parts Catalog" revised May 1945 if you would like a copy, happy to email it to you. We also have a late 1940's Periscopic Sextant in its original wooden carrying case that has not yet been posted on the website, but is in exceptional condition.