Thread: Recommendations for immersion flight training

Recommendations for immersion flight training

Hi All, new guy to the forum,

I've longed to fly nearly all of my 59 years, and need to take the time from my day job to train before its too late.

I'll never learn if I just take a lesson or two each week (too many interruptions, and I need to focus if I'm going to put my life on the line).
    So I'm looking for a program where I can take 4-6 weeks off from my day job and immerse myself in ground school and flight time.
    I've been searching the internet, but it seems that most immersion courses are tilted toward those seeking a commercial career.
    It seems my choices are either a flight school with an immersion-type program, or to have a custom training program individualized for me.

My preference is to learn right off the bat on a taildragger.
    My father washed out of US Army Air Corps flight training in 1944 on a J-3, so I'd love to master one right off the bat.
    I've flown twice in open cockpit biplanes doing aerobatics, and just loved those G's.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

JT

I recommend posting your question over on Pilots of America (aka the blue board) or AOPA. You'll probably get faster and more responses on those boards than here.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

As you say, most if not all of those intensive flight schools are geared toward commercial students and those wanting to fly modern airplanes. I doubt you'll find one with a Cub.

The intensive schools work for some people, but most are better off with two or three times a week; it gives you more time to process what you've learned.

If you don't mind travel there are several J3 Cub schools around the country. Could probably do some prep work at home then go fly the plane and finish with a sport pilot certificate. Just to get an idea, try www.cubair.net

Byron J. Covey
    I would try to convince Gerg Koontz to take me on as a raw student.

http://www.skycountrylodge.com/

BJC

A J3 makes a very good trainer, you can learn to solo in 10 hours or so, likely. Id take the trouble to try to find a J3 and prefer it to a Champ or Super Cub, where you fly from the front.
    I have heard only good things about immersion programs like the concentrated instrument rating program that has been around for years.
    lots of people who really emphasize learning do it in a concentrated program , such as a military or govt or business pershon who needs to transfer overseas and use a new language for instance or learn a new computer method.

Thanks to all for the suggestions! Looks like the clubs may be the route to go, plus there seem to be a number of private instructors with J3s that could fit the bill.
    I think I'm on to something, thanks to all of you!

Quote Originally Posted by 2banaviator View Post
    Thanks to all for the suggestions! Looks like the clubs may be the route to go, plus there seem to be a number of private instructors with J3s that could fit the bill.
    I think I'm on to something, thanks to all of you!
    Can you give us a progress report?