Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4 seat, twin engine, low wing

Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    Possibly- can't speak to the 3 or 4. But I know for a fact that the 6 thru 14 don't have that data in their plans beyond required parts fabrication as already mentioned.
    The -6 does. The kit came with about 50 large scale blueprints and a 20 page manual. The manual was pretty detailed through the empennage section, but IIRC, it went through the entire process of wing, fuel tank, flap, and aileron construction in 2 pages in the manual and about 15 pages of blueprints.

Good or bad, you either looked ahead in the build or did a lot of rework at some point...

Thanks for the clarifications about the RV plans. I understood they are more or less just some “assembly manuals” and so it is very difficult to use them as starting point for a different design.
    The option could be to create a complete model from the real kit, even this means to buy all different sections before to do anythink; and this is what I’d like to avoid. I’d not know if it is possible, but in the short term I will be at Vans Aircraft to understand personally what it is possible to buy and get in terms of useful data. Does anybody have some experience about that?
    As said, the other options was to find an existing plans (ex. Cessna 310) but until now what I found are much different from the original personal preference.
    Francesco

The crash of the Duo Deuce mentioned earlier was my old mechanic Bobbi Boucher. My wife has talked to her a bunch of times after the crash. Lost an engine on takeoff. I've flown in her earlier RV-4 build.

Quote Originally Posted by fdeppieri View Post
    ...in the short term I will be at Vans Aircraft to understand personally what it is possible to buy and get in terms of useful data...
    Do not be surprised if you receive a less than warm reception at Vans after you explain the purpose of your visit.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

You might contact Zenith Aircraft (USA) or Zenair (Canada).
    They have a prototype 2 seat low wing twin. They also make the 640, a low wing four seater.
    Maybe they will give you some insights. They encourage experimentation much more than Vans does.
    Good luck.
    P.S. I double checked and Zenair (manufacturer of the 640) does include their blueprints with the kit, as well.
    Last edited by Bill Barker; 11-25-2016 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Additional Information

Thanks a lot!
    I suspect there are not so many ways to get useful data to realize the dream. Anyway this is not a good reason to avoid to make some attempts.
    The twin Zenith prototipe is dated 1996; maybe they could be interested that someone try to make some other invesigation about.

Francesco

What is your flying mission and subsequent aircraft design goals?

Also something you need to think about is insurance, which depending on your ME time might be unobtainable.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

I know insurance could be a big problem. Anyway, at the moment it does not effect the technical feasibility of the project. One step per time, even the road is very, very long.

F.

Ahoy, Francesco,

I did two pieces some time back in this forum, about a suggested 'push-pull' twin to aid the development of alternative engines. Pretty much fell-flat. I'm a retired TailHook Naval Aviator, am very familiar with asymmetric thrust, and the serious handling challenge it induces. I strongly suggest that you look at the Burt Rutan 'Boomerang' for inspiration. I've looked at it in a casual way. The articles which discuss the result show that that the concept has considerable merit. It probably could be somewhat simplified, be built in metal, and retain most of the benefits. Enjoy /s/ Bob