Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 seat, twin engine, low wing

4 seat, twin engine, low wing

Hi all,
    This is my dream. I was thinking to start from RV-10 kit, redesign several things. I do not find anything else that looks like want I want to build. Velocity V-twin is too expensive. Any suggestins? thanks a lot! Francesco

Buy a Piper Apache .....twins are very cheap now due to demand and operating costs.

The other day I went for a flight with a friend out of Lincoln airport or Logan Co. airport. Across from my buddies hangar sat a twin engine airplane sitting out in the weather. From my understanding the owner stopped paying hangar rent a long time ago and the FBO moved it out of the hangar.

There are a couple of RV "twin" projects out there. Unfortunately the Duo Deuce (2nd link below) was crashed during a taxi test that ended badly after inadvertent flight followed by an engine failure occurred-- the pilot was hurt but she's recovering. Anyway, you might want to contact either or both to see what's really involved in such a project. As an RV-10 builder I can tell you the amount of work will be monumental at the very least. If you're into the challenge, aren't interested in getting into the air quickly, and money is no object, it would be an interesting project! However, if flying is more your thing rather than building, as the other posts have indicated, it would be way cheaper and easier to buy a used twin.

http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?...os-of-Twin-JAG

http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=142015
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

I have a clear idea between buy and build, and the decision has been done. I like the right words "monumental work"; they are somethings familiar in my life, for several other past projects...
    So the main question is only related to the best way to see the dream realized; more or less within 5 years. I'm not sure the RV-10 can be the best starting point. For the point of view of the final goal, there are some common points, even I suspect the modifications could arrive to a much different design. I try to look some other "old" plans but I never find something able to convince myself. For sure, before to put the first rivet, I want to print the complete design, simulations, analysis etc. It is possible to do. This means at last another year before the building phase. This is the main reasons I posted this question. Thanks to all for any ideas.
    I already knew the couple of threads about "twin", and for sure I will contact them for more info about.
    Francesco

Just FYI--the RV plans aren't plans in the traditional sense. They are assembly manuals. As such they don't contain engineering drawings with dimensional data.
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    Just FYI--the RV plans aren't plans in the traditional sense. They are assembly manuals. As such they don't contain engineering drawings with dimensional data.
    Which is frustrating as hell for this RV-6 builder with an RV-10 in the shop. Dimensioned plans would really be helpful from time to time.

RVs are wonderful airplanes, but as noted the plans are not intended for scratch building or even for engineering alterations or modifications. The only dimensions given are for parts that need to be fabricated. If you intend to do heavy modifications to an RV kit, you'll have to start by doing all your own measurements.

I suspect the reason you can't find what you're looking for is that you, as someone who wants to build a 4-place twin, are part of a very, very small group. Nothing wrong with that, I find myself in the same boat from time to time. But you'll find that if you move forward it will be with a machete and axe, blazing your own trail as virtually no one has been there before.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    I had a set of RV-4 plans that had the necessary data to build the plane from scratch. I sold them about 2 yrs ago. May have only been an option with the -4.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    I had a set of RV-4 plans that had the necessary data to build the plane from scratch. I sold them about 2 yrs ago. May have only been an option with the -4.
    Possibly- can't speak to the 3 or 4. I'm pretty sure that 7 thru 14 don't have that data in their plans beyond required parts fabrication as already mentioned. The 10 definitely doesn't.
    Last edited by Auburntsts; 11-20-2016 at 06:16 PM.
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!