Thread: Recommended Books?

Recommended Books?

I'm thinking about starting a construction project -- all wood, probably plans built. I'm not unfamiliar with wood, have built lots of wooden things -- just not an airplane before. I've worked with epoxy, varnish, sealers and tools since I was a wee lad. So we don't need to get quite THAT basic. I took the wood construction and fabric covering classes at Airventure, so I'm not completely unfamiliar with the jigs and stapling and glues and Dacron and all that stuff either. And of course I've watched a bunch of EAA videos, and will continue to do so.

So... what's on the recommended reading list? What's current and a "must-read" for building? I had a copy of Firewall Forward, which I sold (since I was building an RV at the time) and wish to heck I hadn't. So there's that. What else is good information for building a wood airplane?
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

SPORTPLANE CONSTRUCTION TECHNIQUES BY TONY BINGELIS - this is a great reference book for tons of stuff.
    AC 43.13-1B - Acceptable Methods, Techniques, and Practices ... - the bible for repairs, but also gives great info for guidance on acceptable practices.

There are lots of books available that you can see with a quick online search.
    Matronics forum for the specific aircraft you are building is full of useful, interesting and sometimes not so useful info. Great way to lose several hours!
    Lastly, there are usually lots of other builders of your aircraft that have an online presence - get in with them and start asking questions!
    Mark (sorry about the font.....)

There probably isn't a single source "must read" book. You already have a grasp of the basics. There are some reference books to have on the shelf, like AC 43.13-1B. EAA sells a book https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa-shop/medi...ing-techniques and while it's a compilation of old magazine articles it's somewhat entertaining. Otherwise just make note of bits and pieces and start cutting, sanding, gluing, etc.

Thanks for the input. The EAA book is on my list. Of course AC 43.13 is a fixture in the shop! Don't know how anyone could get by without that one.

In the October 1, 1967 issue of Sport Aviation, Michael Myal wrote an article titled "The Ultimate Glue".
    Although the assessment does not address any recently developed products, Myal concluded that the Forest Products Laboratory FPL-16A (sold by Aircraft Spruce as FPL-16A Hughes glue) is superior to other wood glues.
    Based on the high per-cent of joint wood failure (as opposed to glue failure) at a shear load that exceeded the capability of other products, I selected FPL-16A for my Cavalier project (many years ago). I still think it was the correct choice.

I did end up ordering the EAA wood construction book. I got the DVD for an extra two bucks, which I think was a fair price for it. The book is informative, as far as it goes. As mentioned above, it's a bound collection of magazine article reprints. Several of them cover some of the same ground as far as wood election, inspection and grading. Good information there.

There are some really good articles regarding subjects like scarfing, clamping and gluing for maximum strength. Given that there have not been a lot of wood construction articles written of late, the information about glues is decades out of date -- at least as far as I have gotten. I have not read the last third or so of the book yet, so maybe there is some more up to date info there.