Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Simple External Battery Connector Needed

Quote Originally Posted by Byron J. Covey View Post

Since I don't like to charge a battery that is not in the open, i.e., out of the airplane or FWF with the cowling removed, I do not have a recommendation for connecting the (assumed 6 amp or more) Odyssey charger to a battery in the fuselage.

BJC
    Darn straight. As I pointed out, there's good reason it's actually illegal by the electrical code in most places. I've had one battery explode on me outdoors (it was on my boat lift). I was just lucky I wasn't standing over it when it went. My jeans were sprayed with acid however and despite being washed fairly quickly there after ended up looking like swiss cheese. The thing was like having someone fire a gun next to my head (in fact, two of my neighbors thought that another was shooting at something...again).

It should be noted that the installation example above assumes a battery "Maintainer" specifically designed for the battery being maintained will be used.
    I too would not ever use a battery "Charger" in a confined space, as has been mentioned.
    Bill B

Quote Originally Posted by wbecker319 View Post
    It should be noted that the installation example above assumes a battery "Maintainer" specifically designed for the battery being maintained will be used.
    I too would not ever use a battery "Charger" in a confined space, as has been mentioned.
    Bill B
    Mind
    Yeah I have an Odyssey battery so I'm not sure a Battery Minder would be good for it.

The Odyssey charger goes into maintenance mode once the battery is charged. Not sure how that's different from a Battery Minder System.
    Last edited by Saville; 12-28-2016 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    My airplane has a standard AC wall socket as a battery charging port (a 220V socket, with one blade turned sideways). I've got an adaptor using a matching plug to connect to the external charger.

This could be mounted flush to the skin, though best to use an offbeat socket like mine so folks don't try to recharge their phones at fly-ins.

However, it would be prone to pick up dirt and grease. I've got an unwired plug sticking in mine to keep the crud out. It's the round part at the top of this picture. The socket is surrounded by a rubber grommet, with the blank plug sticking out in the middle.

Ron Wanttaja

Hi Ron,

What is the wiring behind the connector? Wire directly to the battery? If so, what gauge did you use?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Saville View Post
    Hi Ron,

What is the wiring behind the connector? Wire directly to the battery? If so, what gauge did you use?
    Yep, directly to the battery. Don't know what gauge it is, but guessing 12 or 14. It's a very short run as the battery is above the big light-colored inspection panel. right near the front.

Ron Wanttaja

Use a male plug and a scocket with a spring loaded lid for a powerwinch. Get both at any good auto store or marine store. Made for 12 volts and polarity keyed and will easily handle the needed current.

Quote Originally Posted by WLIU View Post
    For what its worth, that's way more work than needed today. If you just want to charge the battery or run your radios on ground power. One of these

http://www.bestboatwire.com/anderson-sb50-10-12-awg-red

Attachment 5885

Is much easier to install.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS
    Hello Wes,

These look good. One question:

There seems to be hold down the centerline. Are they to hold two halves together? Or can they be used to mount the connector on a bulkhead?

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Yep, directly to the battery. Don't know what gauge it is, but guessing 12 or 14. It's a very short run as the battery is above the big light-colored inspection panel. right near the front.

Ron Wanttaja

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the reply. Did you put an inline fuse in the line to the battery?

Is your installation intended for battery top-off/maintenance charging? Or for full recharging?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Saville View Post
    Hi Ron,

Thanks for the reply. Did you put an inline fuse in the line to the battery?

Is your installation intended for battery top-off/maintenance charging? Or for full recharging?
    There's no fuse. I didn't build the airplane, so I don't know what the builder's intent was, but the existing wires should be good to the ~6 amps an automotive-type charger supplies. One year, my generator was bad, and I kept the battery charged via this port.

Ron Wanttaja