Thread: Simple External Battery Connector Needed

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Simple External Battery Connector Needed

Hi all,

I need a recommendation on an external battery connector:

I own an RV-8 and the battery is located aft of the aft baggage compartment behind a bulkhead. There's an access door that allows me to attach charger clamps to the battery, if I need to recharge the battery from a charger. The door is held on by 5 screws and you have to remove the back seat to get at the door so it's a colossal pain.

What I'd like to do is attach a connector to the battery, run it forward and mount it to some convenient side bulkhead.

I've watched the EAA video "Alternate Power Source" where the fellow uses a simple outdoor extension cord to do this. He cuts the cord in two, crimps on some ring terminals and attaches that end to the battery. Then he solders two large alligator clamps to the other cut end and attaches that to his battery charger.

To use it, he plugs the male end of the extension cord into the female end which is inside the airplane.

It's a decent solution, and certainly inexpensive but I'd really rather mount a connector onto an interior bulkhead - ideally with a spring return door.

Can anyone suggest a connector I could use to do the job?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Saville; 11-14-2016 at 06:35 PM.