Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: But what about the flying part?

I'm in a similar place with the paucity of rentable LSA's and the rarity and expense of hangars here in Silicon Valley. I have worked out a temporary solution. 1) I stay with my sister in SW Ohio for two or three weeks in the spring and in the fall. This puts me within 20 minutes of the delightful Red Steward airfield where I rent Cubs and Champs ( for peanuts ) and fly every day. 2) This August I also spent two weeks in Columbus flying a Flight Design CTLS while renting lodging through AIRBNB --- to return next spring.

At the Stewart's I can only fly in circles ( they had a problem with a renter who damaged a Cub, returned it and didn't tell anybody about it. ) I do stick and rudder air work, explore the Dayton / Cincinnati / Kentucky region low and slow, and I just never seem to tire of flying around and around the pattern in pursuit of that perfect 3-point greaser.

In Columbus (schedule willing ) I'm free to rent over several nights and at 110+ knots cruise it's possible to explore America's East. The airspace in that region is busy, complicated, and a ton of fun in a high-performance aircraft with all the bells and whistles I could hope for. This year I'm expanding my checked-out airports to Florida and finally found a Champ for rent here in San Jose.

This isn't the ideal deal and I have had a couple out-of-the-box notions. I only have one-two-maybe five more years left to be a pilot. Buying a plane and storing it all winter back in Ohio or Ky, then wandering around the country for a few months is one idea. Many people have suggested getting a partner and passing the plane back an forth every few months. Good luck to you. Want to go in on an LSA for a couple years?
    Russ in Mountain View, Ca

Quote Originally Posted by Mike A View Post
    Hi Eric.

Just trying to set in place some kind of 'flight plan' for the future. I know what level ticket and where I want to get my training (you do to ), which LSA I want to home build, now I'd like to determine where I'm going to store and fly it.

it would be nice, but not necessary, to know all three before I get the whole ball rolling. I am considering that during the months of training and building I'll be coming in contact with allot of people and different organizations which may lead to may open up possibilities.
    Might be worth talking to a few chapters near you as well, if anyone is dialed into the options for flying/storing locally they would be!
    Eric Cernjar, EAA # 1133654

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cernjar View Post
    Might be worth talking to a few chapters near you as well, if anyone is dialed into the options for flying/storing locally they would be!

With the area he is in, this is a great bit of advice. So many option in his area, or within a 50 - 75 mile radius.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cernjar View Post
    Thats a great suggestion actually.

I mainly brought this question up because I think it's the hardst part. With some studying you can get your Pilots ticket, with some skill you can build your airplane, but, other than where you built it, there's not always somewhere to store it or a location close enough to fly it. Airport restrictions, hanger and tie down fees can be prohibitive. Hauling your aircraft to a location and putting the wings on every time you want to fly can get old. Just planning solutions.

Look for a hangar mate to share space/costs at an uncontrolled airport.