Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Navworx ADS-B & Unapproved Parts?

Navworx ADS-B & Unapproved Parts?

I've been plenty happy with my ADS600-B unit. But my A&P just sent me this and it looks like trouble is brewing.

https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/safety/programs/sups/upn/media/2016/2016_2016SW56001_UPN.pdf

This is new ground for me. What usually happens in these situations?

Quote Originally Posted by tmcquinn View Post
    What usually happens in these situations?
    Check the part numbers to see of your unit is affected. If so, call the manufacturer and ask how they plan to resolve it.

Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Can you load software prior to version 4.0.6? If so it looks like this does not apply.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt Flunkn View Post
    Can you load software prior to version 4.0.6? If so it looks like this does not apply.
    That would sure be a nice interim solution!

I sent them an email and they responded quickly, as always. They are working on it. This could still turn out well.

http://www.navworx.com/documents/UPN%20Statement.pdf

Thanks for sharing that, Bill never did respond to my email which is unusual.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

IMO, if you are going to fly IFR, then your ADS-B Out system should meet certain Norms and Standards regardless of the certification basis of your airplane. We are moving to an airspace system where you self-report your Position rather than the Govt determining where you are via Radar techniques. This requires a certain level of system assurance by all that participate.

(disclaimer: I am employed by a large corporation that also makes Certificated ADS-B products, however, I work for a different part of the corporation and my Paycheck isn't affected by ADS-B)

ted

Quote Originally Posted by tmcquinn View Post
    I sent them an email and they responded quickly, as always. They are working on it. This could still turn out well.

http://www.navworx.com/documents/UPN%20Statement.pdf

The Navworx letter is interesting. All the vendors selling ADS-B equipment had to comply with the change and were notified ahead of time that the FAA would stop responding to ADS-B out with the lower integrity GPS units. NavWorx was far from the only vendor to get screwed by the FAA on that one. The vendor I was dealing with offered a prorated trade in with their older units of 50 - 100% credit towards a new unit with the higher integrity GPS. A number of pilots, myself included, had to upgrade or buy new equipment after the FAA decided to change the specs for the GPS integrity. Some are still saving their pennies for the upgrades and no longer receive TIS-B Traffic.

[FAA Bashing mode ON]
    By withholding Traffic information, the FAA is using your safety to drive the market the way they want it. Quite frankly, I don't care if your ADS-B unit is reporting within 2 meters vs 20 meters. It's close enough for me to look out the window to find the traffic. The FAA withholding potentially life saving data is at least immoral, and should be illegal.

While I'm beating on the FAA, myself as well as numerous others have also noted that the FAA's implementation of NEXRAD radar with ADS-B has been really poor for the last few months. In the past 2 or 3 years, it has always been very accurate. Accurate enough that I have been able to navigate around and in close proximity to heavy T cells. This summer it has been highly inaccurate with weather that is clearly visible ahead of me suddenly disappearing, then being replaced with weather that is both wrong in intensity and position. This has been happening in our area across multiple ADS-B In platforms and displays, and has been reported to me by others in other areas of the country with much better ADS-B coverage than we have. The FAA is pushing ADS-B and requiring it to be done their way. But they aren't holding up their end of the bargain as they are providing inaccurate and poor quality data, apparently with no recourse.
    [FAA Bashing mode OFF]

-Cub Builder

I don't think any data linked weather ever was or ever will be adequate for tactical weather avoidance. Can use it for strategic avoidance but I don't see it being of any value beyond that.