Thread: F-89 Scorpion at Oshkosh

F-89 Scorpion at Oshkosh

It seems to me that I remember there being a F-89 Scorpion at Oshkosh on static display many years ago. Just wondering if anyone knows what happened to that aircraft?

Quote Originally Posted by gmilty View Post
    It seems to me that I remember there being a F-89 Scorpion at Oshkosh on static display many years ago. Just wondering if anyone knows what happened to that aircraft?
    Unless they've moved it recently, it's still there...parked southwest of the Museum. Here it is in Google Earth:

I'm rather fond of the Scorpion...it's what made me an aviation nut. The North Dakota National Guard was flying them with I was young and impressionable.

Ron Wanttaja

Thank you for this information, I was not aware it was still on the grounds.
    I wonder if this aircraft could possibly be restored to flying condition? It would be very cool to see one of these fly!

Quote Originally Posted by gmilty View Post
    Thank you for this information, I was not aware it was still on the grounds.
    I wonder if this aircraft could possibly be restored to flying condition? It would be very cool to see one of these fly!
    This airframe is actually on long term loan from the National Museum of the United States Air Force. It does not have engines in it. I think it's safe to say that humankind will have a colony on Mars before this airplane ever flies again.

I had a college history professor who flew them in Southern California, back in the late 50's. He was not impressed with it at all and claimed it was just another ill-conceived product of the red scare. Better dead than red!