Thread: Getting N number for "Rebuilt" gyro

Getting N number for "Rebuilt" gyro

I am rebuilding a 2 seat, circa 1980 gyro that I bought without an engine. I have built a mazda 13b engine that will, I hope, replace that O320 that was originally on the gyro.

I am not sure if the addition of the engine, PSRU and prop and the replacement of the the gyro blades will constitute 51% of the "rebuild" so I am asking

"will this gyro, when complete and inspected by a DAR ever be able to get it's N number"?

Appreciate any and all opinions.
    MaxAirspace

Quote Originally Posted by byronhead View Post
    I am rebuilding a 2 seat, circa 1980 gyro that I bought without an engine. I have built a mazda 13b engine that will, I hope, replace that O320 that was originally on the gyro.

I am not sure if the addition of the engine, PSRU and prop and the replacement of the the gyro blades will constitute 51% of the "rebuild" so I am asking

"will this gyro, when complete and inspected by a DAR ever be able to get it's N number"?

Appreciate any and all opinions.
    Was it originally built by a person or person for recreation or education? If so, it's eligible to be operated as an experimental, amateur built aircraft. All you have to do is provide evidence to support that.

If if was originally factory built in ready to fly (RTF) or almost ready to fly (ARF) then it will be more difficult to show the major portion was fabricated and assembled for education or recreation.

If it has a builder dataplate, operating limitations, special airworthiness certificate or any combination thereof indicating it was a homebuilt, you are home free!