Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How much do you let your Young Eagles do?

Any time I'm on a recreational flight with passengers of any kind and there is dual controls, I take my place in the right seat. The left seat is available to whoever wants it. Sometimes the left seater will fly, sometimes no. Most of the time they will give it a shot. At any rate, there are always switches over there I have them turn on/off or levers to move which I've never had anyone refuse to do that. Of course, I may have to provide encouragement and motivation like "if you don't turn that switch on we are gonna die!"

I can almost always get someone interested enough about what's going on to get them engaged and participating.

I always let them fly if they want. A short story, I had my 4 year old grandson up for his second flight, he loves it. I asked if he wanted to fly, he said ok. He took over, sitting in his car seat by the way, still couldn't see out the front though. Anyway I had my hand on the controls all the time but after a bit he asked me if I would take over, I said sure I had it and he relaxed. He was sure he was flying and wouldn't stop until I said I had it. I had not heard him at first as he hadn't broke the squelch and didn't realize he wanted to quit.
    No matter how far you push the envelope; its still stationary!