Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solidworks Edition expired

Solidworks Edition expired

Downloaded Solidworks and got a message that activation succeeded, then a message pops up "This student edition expired". It says to go to the Solidworks website which is useless. Deleted Solidworks, reloaded and got same result. Any comments?

SOLIDWORKS Support Volunteer Jeffrey Meyer's Avatar
    Could be that the expiry has something to do with the fact that DS recently announced the release of SolidWorks 2017. Just a guess, but if this IS the case then I have no idea what to do about it. Cory, any suggestions?

SOLIDWORKS Support Volunteer Tom Gagnon's Avatar
    You say you deleted Solidworks. I believe that just deleting or uninstalling it simply leaves registry entries behind, resulting in lingering status as you describe. Complete uninstall instructions for a clean install are found at: https://forum.solidworks.com/docs/DO...lean%20install

I do not think that the new release would cause this error. I do not know what caused this error. This is just an idea that I hope will help you resolve this.

Quote Originally Posted by BobB View Post
    Downloaded Solidworks and got a message that activation succeeded, then a message pops up "This student edition expired". It says to go to the Solidworks website which is useless. Deleted Solidworks, reloaded and got same result. Any comments?
    I have a couple questions:
    1) Did you have a previous version of SOLIDWORKS on your computer before you activated this one?
    2) What version of SOLIDWORKS did you activate?

Hello Bobb, could solve your problem, I have the same problem.
    I've tried everything and you'll have recommended to you and nothing has worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Puuri View Post
    I have a couple questions:
    1) Did you have a previous version of SOLIDWORKS on your computer before you activated this one?
    2) What version of SOLIDWORKS did you activate?

First try at loading Solidworks 2017.

After completely deleting and new download, got same result. Might try this on another PC next week.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: pdf DS.pdf (318.6 KB, 445 views)

I sent an email to my contact at Dassault Systemes. I'll let you know what they have to say. Thanks!

While we wait for Dassault Systemes, I think I may have found a possible solution on an MIT web forum:

1. Open File Explorer and go to C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet.
    2. Rename the FLEXnet folder to something like FLEXnet_old.
      The ProgramData folder is a hidden folder. You can either use 'Folder options' to show hidden folders, or you can type C:\ProgramData directly on to the address bar and then press Enter to access this folder. From there you will be able to locate the FLEXnet folder.

3. Try again to activate the license.

Quote Originally Posted by Cory Puuri View Post
    While we wait for Dassault Systemes, I think I may have found a possible solution on an MIT web forum:

1. Open File Explorer and go to C:\ProgramData\FLEXnet.
    2. Rename the FLEXnet folder to something like FLEXnet_old.
      The ProgramData folder is a hidden folder. You can either use 'Folder options' to show hidden folders, or you can type C:\ProgramData directly on to the address bar and then press Enter to access this folder. From there you will be able to locate the FLEXnet folder.
    3. Try again to activate the license.

That seems to have worked. Working with CATIA, I often thought that the French were just messing with us; inventing weird problems so they could laugh at frustrating the Anglo-Saxons. (They may still be upset about that Joan of Arc barbecue.)
    Now I need to find out if a CATIA operator can transition to SolidWorks.