Thread: RV-10 as a trainer

RV-10 as a trainer

I have 30 hours as a student pilot. Most of the time is in 152's/172's.

The plane I was training in, a 1958 Cessna 172 was lost by another pilots at the Flight School

Name:  082315_met_plane_crash_02.jpg
Views: 2246
Size:  56.5 KB

I was looking for another one or a Piper 140 to finish my training.

Would an RV-10 be a good choice to finish training for my PPL?

Thanks

rtc

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Short answer- probably not.

Longer answer- RVs are not trainers and are not designed for the abuse of flight training (think about learning to land.) RVs are high performance- like taking flight training in a Mooney, 182RG or something similar in terms of performance. There are legalities involved in using an E-AB aircraft for hire, so unless you own it or have a very generous owner/ friend, you might not be legally able to use it for training.

Having said all that- it can and has been done. Is it a good choice- probably not, but not necessarily a horrible one either. Personally I'd look for another trainer of the type you are used to- they are out there.

Good luck.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Jeff makes good "points" and I agree with him. The other side of the coin is all types of airplanes are used for trainers. Lufthansa starts zero time pilots out in high performance Bonanzas, so everything is relative. But personally, I would not use an RV-10 for primary training, make it easier on yourself, and work up. Hope that helps.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

I am a CFI and would have no issue training the owner in his RV-10. If that is the airplane you want to own and fly go for it but find a CFI to do the training before you buy.

Looks like minimal damage. If you like the plane, talk to the insurance company. Looks like a good airframe. With a tail wheel conversion and tundra tires, you too could land on the beach. 172 with a 180 hp Lic and constant speed prop is a nice conversion.

If you would rather, I have a C-175 with an O-470 that is available. Includes aft aux tank and auto gas STC.
    Last edited by jedi; 10-07-2016 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rtcapo View Post
    Would an RV-10 be a good choice to finish training for my PPL?
    To make that happen you'll have to buy a RV-10. Not the most economical route to get finished up.

Of the previous posts, Marty's is the most valid as to why an RV-10 might not be the best choice. However, if the 10 meets your mission requirements post check ride then it makes more sense. While the 10 and RVs in general aren't designed to take the abuse as a fleet trainer used for primary training (which you can't do in an E-AB anyway) they are more than rugged enough to handle a single builder/owner pilot's training which is legal. As for the 10 as a trainer, it's flying characteristics are straightforward and easily mastered by a competent pilot. It's a bit nose heavy when light, but no worse than a 182. Transitioning to the low wing, stick, and castering nosewheel configurations are non-issues. Most 10s tend to be TAAs with glass panels and capable 2-axis autopilots so you'll need to factor in some time with the CFI getting to know the avioincs.
    Last edited by Auburntsts; 10-08-2016 at 07:23 AM.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

The statement that you can't do primary training in an E-AB is not correct. This is a good discussion on whether E-AB for primary training is a a good or bad idea, but there is no prohibition in the regs that say no primary training is allowed. The only issue that comes into play is that payment for use an E-AB plane is not allowed. Even with a training LODA, which I have for my Zodiac, I can not charge to use it for training towards pilot certification. I can charge for transition training. I have personally performed E-AB primary training in aircraft owned by the students. There is also no problem with paying the CFI for the dual in an E-AB. The commercial prohibition is only for the E-AB airplane. I have written some articles about this for EAA publications in the in the past..maybe they can be found.

Quote Originally Posted by earldowns View Post
    The statement that you can't do primary training in an E-AB is not correct. This is a good discussion on whether E-AB for primary training is a a good or bad idea, but there is no prohibition in the regs that say no primary training is allowed.
    I think Todd's comment was intended to point out that you cannot put an EAB on the fleet trainer (AKA rental) line at the local FBO, not that you cannot train in one.

Quote Originally Posted by earldowns View Post
    The statement that you can't do primary training in an E-AB is not correct. This is a good discussion on whether E-AB for primary training is a a good or bad idea, but there is no prohibition in the regs that say no primary training is allowed. The only issue that comes into play is that payment for use an E-AB plane is not allowed. Even with a training LODA, which I have for my Zodiac, I can not charge to use it for training towards pilot certification. I can charge for transition training. I have personally performed E-AB primary training in aircraft owned by the students. There is also no problem with paying the CFI for the dual in an E-AB. The commercial prohibition is only for the E-AB airplane. I have written some articles about this for EAA publications in the in the past..maybe they can be found.
    kyle is correct and I agree with what you posted. What I was trying to say is RVs would not stand up to the rigors of fleet ops as a trainer but that that issue was moot because a flight school/CFI cannot charge for the use of an E-AB aircraft for primary training or endorsement (e.g. High performance) anyway. A CFI with a LODA can charge for the use of their E-AB aircraft for transition training (although my understanding is the insurance premiums have become quite onerous for CFIs performing this service in their own aircraft).

If if a pilot owns the E-AB aircraft then they can hire a CFI/CFII and receive any level of training they desire so in that case an RV is just as suitable as any other plane in that regard.
    Last edited by Auburntsts; 10-13-2016 at 06:59 PM.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!