Thread: P-51 Ordinates

P-51 Ordinates

Ok, so I am building a full scale p-51. I have purchased old microfiche and have the ordinates. If any of you have purchased them, I am looking at roll HG471 to HG475. I have plotted each station in AutoCAD back in January. Now I have imported these to Solidworks. I have a nice looking outline, but the stations only go back to 327 inches. This is only 27' 3" and a full scale version should put me at 32' 3". So the real question is are these for the real plane or were they for a model that NAA built? I could stretch it as the each station seems to be correct. I don't know but think that the fuselage is no more than 34" wide.

Any insight on this? Should I be looking for another information source?

Thanks,

Yes I know I am Looney

Is that just the fuselage? How long is the rudder?
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Where is the datum? Typically it's the firewall; the numbers at the tail won't be the fuselage length since they're negative forward of the firewall.

Quote Originally Posted by LooneyBird View Post
    Ok, so I am building a full scale p-51. I have purchased old microfiche and have the ordinates. If any of you have purchased them, I am looking at roll HG471 to HG475. I have plotted each station in AutoCAD back in January. Now I have imported these to Solidworks. I have a nice looking outline, but the stations only go back to 327 inches. This is only 27' 3" and a full scale version should put me at 32' 3". So the real question is are these for the real plane or were they for a model that NAA built? I could stretch it as the each station seems to be correct. I don't know but think that the fuselage is no more than 34" wide.

Any insight on this? Should I be looking for another information source?
    You're correct, the HG470 page shows a dimension of 32' 3-5/16" from tip of spinner to tip of tail, which matches the actual airplane. I agree with your estimate of fuselage width as well based on the BL dimensions.

Scale model builders are usually sticklers for accuracy, Maybe you can find another source to confirm?

Rudder about 2 feet. According to HG470 it is 25 11/16"

The Datum is just behind the Spinner. The front of the cowl is -8 inches, HG470 shows 7.686 Firewall appears to be about 95.62 inches.

Thank you Marty for having me take a better look. The spinner is included in this 32' 3-5/16" The spinner is 26-3/4" from the front of the cowl. That quick look brings us to 31'7 inches. I am sure that with further study I can find the last 8 inches.

Sometimes I just need to slow down. :-)

This is a full size P-51 that a man in Australia built. Even made his own prop blades. Canopy is a modified F-86 unit. Now on display at Queensland Museum. The man has now started building a full scale SR-71.
    Name:  BAM 252.jpg
Views: 1360
Size:  45.5 KB

Check with Murdo Cameron, he has full size molds for the P51fuselage and wing and can build a composite shell. His plane was on the coverof KITPLANES a few years ago

Cameron Aircraft
    Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
    email: mcameron@roadrunner.com
    Cell: 208-640-1620
    Business Phone: 208-765-9295
    http://cameronaircraft.com/Team%2051.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cameron_P-51G

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger37 View Post
    This is a full size P-51 that a man in Australia built. Even made his own prop blades. Canopy is a modified F-86 unit. Now on display at Queensland Museum. The man has now started building a full scale SR-71.
    That's amazing! I wonder what he does when he gets bored? I'd like to hang out with him for a month or two.