Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sloshing sealer

Price for you to build us a tank??
    Why did the right tank leak and not the left?
    We put a fiberglass patch where it seemed to be leaking, didnt fix it.
    Then we got some sealer that was guaranteed to fix it, painted it all over the bottom, quess what?
    Are you building with Epoxy resin and closed cell?

I did not say the right tank leak and not the left, I built both of them.
    I use vinylester resin
    and closed cell? - I don't understand what you are asking here
    I can build a tank like this for us $1,400.00 a piece or $2,400.00 a pair
    Disclaimer ; opinions of others will vary depending on what they’re selling.

http://the-grand-design.com/

Sorry I didnt phrase my question right.

Quote Originally Posted by George Sychrovsky View Post
    I did not say the right tank leak and not the left, I built both of them.
    I use vinylester resin
    and closed cell? - I don't understand what you are asking here
    I can build a tank like this for us $1,400.00 a piece or $2,400.00 a pair

I am curious, on our aircraft only one tank leaked. The other is fine. Left full it takes a couple of days to start leaking. What did they do different?
    We thought we had found the leaking area and put a fiberglass patch over it. No luck. Then an aircraft mechanic suggested a product like rubber, (smelled like PRC we used to put windshields in F104s) painted on the bottom. Guaranteed it would work. Not so much!

Now we are a little stumped.

Your solution looks good but heavy and expensive.

The reviews on sloshing sealer are mixed??

Thanks

A previous owner sloshed one of my Luscombe's wing tanks. The sealant started coming off the tank. The carb did not like pieces of sealer trying to move through the system at takeoff power Tank replaced. Sloshing seems a temporary "solution." No problem if you're selling the plane.

Quote Originally Posted by raytoews View Post

Your solution looks good but heavy and expensive.

Thanks
    Yes the leaking tanks are a lot cheaper
    Disclaimer ; opinions of others will vary depending on what they’re selling.

http://the-grand-design.com/

There was a problem with the integral wing tanks leaking in Mooneys as they got older. My a i sealed mine in the (77 M20 J) and it worked fine. I didnt do the work or see it first hand, but the sloshing sealer, I recall is a black tarry stuff, came in a quart can or so. The key he said was to remove ALL the old sealer and residue from the seam before using the new, I think he used plastic scraper, maybe even a credit card so as not to scratch the metal. I dont know how this would work with fiberglass tanks, the Mooney ones are metal, aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Clarke View Post
    A previous owner sloshed one of my Luscombe's wing tanks. The sealant started coming off the tank. The carb did not like pieces of sealer trying to move through the system at takeoff power Tank replaced. Sloshing seems a temporary "solution." No problem if you're selling the plane.
    Tanks really have to be properly cleaned and prepped in order for the slosh compound to bond. (See the process on the KBS Slosh compound web site) Aluminum tanks in particular are smooth enough that the slosh compound tends to peel in the middle of the panels where there really isn't anything to give the compound any "bite" to the surface. Just putting a slosh in the tank is akin to painting aluminum without etching. It just doesn't hold. The KBS compound uses an acid etch as part of their process.

FWIW, I sloshed the composite tanks on one of my planes 22 years ago. I have never seen any peeling, flakes or fragments. It was sloshed with the Hirsch compound sold by Aircraft Spruce. The composite tanks on my other plane were recently coated internally using the KBS process, which is also recommended by Arion for the composite tanks in their Lightning Aircraft.

I have nothing substantive to add to the thread, other than to remark that I laughed outright at this:

Yes the leaking tanks are a lot cheaper
    It's rare that I actually laugh when reading something in a tech forum.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    It's rare that I actually laugh when reading something in a tech forum.
    I do it all the time. Have you SEEN some of the advice people get?
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.