Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: "Flyingron" Forced Landing

Which cylinder was off recently?

I'd say there won't be any core credit forthcoming.....

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post

The #2 was the one that was replaced (that's the right most one in the picture). I was really expecting to find that one blown to bits but it's the center one that's blasted. BY the time I got to the ground the oil was everywhere so I couldn't tell where the leak started. I suspect something broke and caused the oil to run out which then caused a catastrophic failure. I'd looked at the engine after two test runs and the first flight and there was no noticeable leak (and the level was still up right near 11... you'd expect it to burn a bit breaking in the cylinder).

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post

It was fine when I put it in the crate...

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Yes, the studio dispatched the news girl to the scene with the statement it was a Glider. I corrected her before we went on the air (i told her to call it a single engine airplane instead). I wasn't able to hear the lead in just what the reporter (Caren Pinto, nice girl) said to me. This all happened while we were waiting for the FAA to determine if they wanted to trek out to the field to see the thing (they decided not to).

Anyhow, the story was I'm flying along just SE of KLYH about 3500' (which is about 2800 AGL there I think). I'd been in the air about 45 minutes at that point. No signs of a problem when the engine started vibrating. Turned towards the nearest airport (W90, fortunately, I fly this route regularly and know where it is) and tell ROA approach I've got a problem. Ten seconds or so later there's a bang and it's a lot worse and there's oil on the windscreen and we're not producing any sort of power. I pick a field (mostly trees around where it happened) and start circling down. Set myself up on a short right base and drop the gear. Touch down, avoid the cows in the field, stand on the brakes but realize I'm going through a wire fence. Aim between the posts. Doesn't slow me down much. Finally roll to a stop another hundred feet later. Call ROA say I'm down safe. Shut everything down and get out. People are racing to the scene from nearby at this point. Several of them chase the cow that has followed me through the fence back into his field.

Engine is toast. Oil everywhere inside the cowl. A connecting rod is poking up through the top of the case. No airframe damage to speak of, did a better than average landing. Living on a grass strip has its plusses I guess. I took a fence post with the wing which made a nice post shape dent in the leading edge. My gear door on that side is bent (I think the wire caught it). THere's probably 20' of wire wrapped around the crankshaft and trailing back to the fence line.

Left a message for the insurance. They called me back an hour later saying they are on it. Have been going three ways between the FAA, the mechanic, and the insurance guys all morning.
    Sorry I'm late to this thread. I'm also sorry to hear about this incident, but glad you're okay. Hopefully you'll get your bird back in the air in no time.
    Someday I'll come up with something profound to put here.

For those of you still wondering. The wing damage is a bit more severe than I though. The navion wing doesn't have "ribs" per se. It's a monocoque like the fuselage. It will need to go somewhere (most likely the same shop that restored the plane ten years ago) with the jigs to redo that portion. As a result (and the fact I think the engine scares him), the FAA guy from the FSDO elevated the thing to an "accident." The NTSB guy had me fill out one of their accident report (only onerous as it asks for time totals different than what the insurance company and the FAA asked for so I had to get the calculator out again and subtract out the non-ASEL time and the few hours from my student pilot days when I wasn't pilot in command).

The NTSB is having the engine shipped down to Continental to be inspected. I'm hoping to be able to make it down to Mobile for that.

The preliminary is up on the NTSB site: http://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.av...o=10&pgsize=50

It pretty much cut and paste from my statement on the accident report with the FAA guys description of the damage.

The preliminary is up on the NTSB site: http://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.av...o=10&pgsize=50

It pretty much cut and paste from my statement on the accident report with the FAA guys description of the damage.
    I note it says, "...the airplane's most recent 100-hour inspection occurred on September 16, 2016."

As a privately-operated aircraft, the airplane isn't required to have 100-hour inspections. Was this just how your A&P signed off the engine work, or do you have 100-hours done as a safety measure due to the amount of flying you do?

Just curious....

Ron Wanttaja

In fact, it was an annual and signed off as such. Of course, annuals are the same scope as 100 hours so it's technically not incorrect. No, this is not a situation that requires 100 hour inspections (and frankly, I'm lucky if I get 100 hours in a year. Scanning back over the last three annuals, it looks like about 90 hours TIS each year. My time in service is determined by a hobbs meter on the landing gear rather than tach time (the A36 I copped the engine instruments from doesn't have a recording tach), so my TIS is a bit less than what someone using a tach with FRP settings would get.

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    I note it says, "...the airplane's most recent 100-hour inspection occurred on September 16, 2016."

As a privately-operated aircraft, the airplane isn't required to have 100-hour inspections. Was this just how your A&P signed off the engine work, or do you have 100-hours done as a safety measure due to the amount of flying you do?
    More like that's the box the FAA checked when writing the report.

Well, this sucks.

The NTSB returned the engine to my mechanic. Of course, we know the core is toast (the mechanic says it looks like someone through a couple of grenades into the crankcase). Of course, I knew I was on the hook for a replacement engine. However, I told the NTSB and Continental, that there was much stuff attached to the engine that I needed back when they were done inspecting it. It's all missing.

Lost are:

Most of the unobtainable cooling baffling specific to the Navion installation
    The alternator
    All vestiges of my Tannis engine heater
    The entire exhaust

Who knows what else.
    The restoration shop is inventorying things and trying to chase things down.

Well, this sucks.

The NTSB returned the engine to my mechanic. Of course, we know the core is toast (the mechanic says it looks like someone through a couple of grenades into the crankcase). Of course, I knew I was on the hook for a replacement engine. However, I told the NTSB and Continental, that there was much stuff attached to the engine that I needed back when they were done inspecting it. It's all missing.

Lost are:

Most of the unobtainable cooling baffling specific to the Navion installation
    The alternator
    All vestiges of my Tannis engine heater
    The entire exhaust

Who knows what else.
    The restoration shop is inventorying things and trying to chase things down.
    Is the rest of the airframe restorable?