Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: priming tail feathers

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Downey View Post
    Not true.
    Yes it is true, although not quite well stated. I think what Matt meant, and certainly what it true, is that the MEK in Polyfiber will not work with some components of Stewarts. While it might not dissolve a cured top coat, for example if one were to apply Polybrush over fabric that had been glued with Stewarts, you would certainly have problems. That is what I meant when I said "unless you know what you are doing..." I know of at least one certificated aircraft manufacturer that uses Stewarts glue (actually just the 3M product) and uses DuPont products over it through top coat- so it can be done.

To the OP- I see you are in Illinois. I'm in Wisconsin- Milwaukee specifically, and I'm painting an aircraft with Stewarts right now if you want to visit and see it in action. PM me for contact info.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Quote Originally Posted by airman View Post
    I have used polyfiber several times with no issues. Have herd stewart system is hard to get perfect. Air temp and mixing the paint has to be right on. Also thanks for the help.
    You have heard correct.

I've had the displeasure to repair a few planes done by the book with Stewarts. Ringworm, peeling, cracking, blisters full of water, etc.. The most disturbing part was the amount of rust on the tubing for having been recovered a few years prior. Unfortunately, with Stewarts, it can look perfect in the beginning but fail within a year or two.

Well, that's disappointing! I just covered a set of Champ tail feathers with Stewart (and they do specify using lacquer thinner for cleaning up anything dried and cured, especially in the spray gun, but no mention of MEK), so hopefully it will still be looking good when my warranty expires! This was such a humid summer, I used Stewart, at the owner's suggestion, instead of nitrate & butyrate dope.

What manufacturer is using 3M Fastbond?

I won't argue with your observations but I dispute the "by the book part." If those kinds of problems resulted, clearly something wasn't done properly.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Point View Post
    I won't argue with your observations but I dispute the "by the book part." If those kinds of problems resulted, clearly something wasn't done properly.
    I have to agree. I did some repairs 5 years ago on my airplane using the steward system. I also used a rattle can to repaint the repair. Jump to 1:15 mark on this short video and I show this repair that was made 5 years ago. You will see I beat on this repair. No cracks or ringworm in 5 years and around 200 hrs of flying time.

This repair was so simple it was funny. I did a few repairs but this was the only one I showed. i could show another under the horizontal on the rear. She had a hole on her when I purchased the airplane. Someone crawled under the airplane with a screw driver in their pocket and ripped the fabric. I put a 4x4 patch over this and then repainted. I used the steward system on this and all repairs on this airplane. Amazing how it has held up. i repainted with auto paint put into a rattle can that was a two part mix. Meaning it needed hardener mix with the paint to work. This is done with a button on the bottom of the can.

If you watch this from the beginning I repaint parts of this airplane using this rattle can. I am very pleased with the results and others have told me she looks much better. I must agree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDWqJn_x4e4

In order to remove the tape without damage to the paint. I sprayed the tape and paper with water. Let it sit for about 5 mins then it came right off. Almost fell off. There was a couple area's I used a vinyl tape and water would not soften this. In these area's I did have problems with the paint wanting to lift. But I used this in such small amounts around really sharp curves it was not a problem. But if I do this again I will not use this vinyl tape.
    Last edited by 1600vw; 10-05-2016 at 07:11 AM.

That's something the typical Stewart apologists say. "You had a failure? You must have used a different revision of the exact spray gun than the one in the videos / humidity wasn't exactly 72.521579% / painted on a Thursday / worn the wrong color shirt / etc."

Nothing changes the fact that you are spraying water on a bare metal part and hoping it evaporates before the paint / primer skins over and entraps it. Then you are encasing it in a polyester bag, brushing more water through it and hoping the back side somehow evaporates through your tiny little drain holes.

In less than ten years, the Stewarts have had to revise the manual many times, change how it's applied and change the product formulas. All due to very few customers having any success. You'd buy all the materials, follow the instructions, have some weird failure during application, then a new "fix" would come out and you'd have to recover the part from scratch at your own cost. When confronted with blisters and water bubbles appearing years later, they admitted themselves that the product was hydrophilic.

No wonder the Stewarts sold it off to some other sucker. I bet they wish they could remove their name from it as well. The last few years at their booths they looked like they were getting worn down answering support questions.

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Nothing changes the fact that you are spraying water on a bare metal part and hoping it evaporates before the paint / primer skins over and entraps it. Then you are encasing it in a polyester bag, brushing more water through it and hoping the back side somehow evaporates through your tiny little drain holes.
    How is that different from any of the solvent based systems? Isn't the only difference the carrier or solvent?

I assumed I had strayed from the book, too, but the nice folks at Stewart said that it happens when the first couple of coats are fogged too heavily or when the primer is too thin. It had nothing to do with my prep work. You have to barely fog on the first cross coat, just enough so you change the shade of what you're spraying. I fogged along the lines of what the goomer in the video does: way too heavy! I also thinned it so it drained out of the Zahn #2 cup per the video and instruction sheet. The whole exercise is just another reminder that with airplanes: it's never easy!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    How is that different from any of the solvent based systems? Isn't the only difference the carrier or solvent?
    The difference is that the carrier in the Stewart products is water, which will rust steel, versus other solvents which won't. That's just my observation. I used Ekoprime on the RV-7 I was building, but only on the aluminum parts. Steel parts got a shot of rattle can SEM self-etching primer. The Ekoprime took a while to reach its full cured hardness. It was pretty soft for the first few days but toughened up after a while. It was easily removed with MEK, acetone, or reducer for acrylic enamel.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.