Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cleaning windscreens

This really bugs me...lol My windscreen like everyone else gets covered in bugs, and boy does this bug me..lol But I stepped back one day and thought as I applied my favored wind screen cleaner and began to wipe. I could feel and hear the bugs scratching the plastic. I stopped and stepped back scratching my head thinking there must be another way to do this.

I tried spraying my favorite cleaner on the wind screen and watched as it just flows off and really does nothing. So here is what I found to do to lesson this. Does it work? I would think it does.

I take paper towels and get about two feet of this or enough to cover my wind screen. I am not wiping nothing with this. This is getting laid out onto the wind screen. Now take your favorite window cleaner and soak this paper towel. I mean soak it taking a towel and wiping up what little fluid flows off the paper towel. Now let this sit for about 10 or 15 mins. Come back and now lift off this paper towel. You will find the bugs are now all but like mud. Take a clean rag, soak this with water and wipe off all the bugs. Now clean again and wipe try.

When I do this I do not hear those bugs scratching and scrapping the plastic wind screen. IMHO this works great to get rid of those pesky bugs.

Tony

First use water, best is a hose or next a spray bottle, wet it good and use the side of your hand to wipe top down to bottom to remove dust and grit. Then if needed you can use a foam or liquid. And clean cotton is better than paper.

Avoid rubbing some cleaner on a dusty service,that is like sandpaper no matter what the label says.
    I like to clean the glass when I refuel after flght to get any bug spots off. You wont have dust then and even if dusty before you fly again, there wont be bug spots that need scrubbing.
    Dont use anything like Windex on plastic.

I use a few drops of soap in a spray bottle filled with water. This is then sprayed onto the paper towel to soften the bugs. How I do it. Never just spray and wipe off. You may as well use sand paper.

Tony

What really works is take a spray bottle and fill it with 50% (Light Green) TurtleWax liquid and 50% Water. First make sure there is no dust/sand on the windshield then spray this mixture on, let sit for a few minutes then wipe off with a cotton cloth 'vertical movements only'. The grease in the Wax will easily dissolve the Bugs as they also mainly consist of grease. After you wipe let it dry another few minutes then wipe the 'Haze' off with a clean cotton cloth. Not only does the plexi get clean but it also gets some protection from the applied Wax. It's worked for me for the last couple of decades. BTW I use the same liquid on the leading edge of the Wings if they have a bunch of bugs attached....
    SwedeFlyer