Thread: Ultralight / Sub 87 Kt. Sport Pilot Training

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ultralight / Sub 87 Kt. Sport Pilot Training

I was wondering how many CFI's out there are providing training for fixed-wing ultralights or <87 kt LSA's? Also would like to know what they are using for a training aircraft. Now that the Quicksilver SLSA is no longer available, I think there are only a couple trainers available (M-squared & the Dragonfly). Does anyone know of any other SLSA Fixed-wing trainers available new? How successful have LODA's been for using ELSA's in this catagory?

Quote Originally Posted by Crow Island Aviator View Post
    I was wondering how many CFI's out there are providing training for fixed-wing ultralights or <87 kt LSA's? Also would like to know what they are using for a training aircraft. Now that the Quicksilver SLSA is no longer available, I think there are only a couple trainers available (M-squared & the Dragonfly). Does anyone know of any other SLSA Fixed-wing trainers available new? How successful have LODA's been for using ELSA's in this catagory?
    I will train in your aircraft at your location where ever. M-Squared will train in their aircraft in their location. How many locations do you think the economy will support?

I know a CFI who trains in his ercoupe for dual time. You then fly your single seat airplane solo with him on the radio standing on the ground.

I'll just relate my situation, realizing it may or may not be any kind of option for you.

I'm a 50/50 partner on a Kitfox II experimental. I think it certainly qualifies as a Light Sport category plane. My partner and I picked it up in somewhat neglected condition and took care of what needed to be taken care of to get it airworthy again. He's a CFI and is now giving me dual instruction in it, preparing me to eventually fly the MiniMAX ultralight that I built. Because of a 3rd class medical Catch 22 situation I'm in (long, separate story) I'll never even be able to fly the Kitfox II solo, since I'm limited to ultralights, but it will end up being a pretty cheap way to get proficient enough to fly my MiniMAX. In addition to training, we've used it to visit other builders at nearby airports as well as flying to get the occasional $25 (pretty economical ) breakfast or lunch.

Just my $0.02 as a FWIW (maybe nothing)

Best wishes.

Lynn
    Last edited by lake_harley; 09-22-2016 at 07:36 PM.

I am a CFI teaching weight-shift control land in a SLSA trike. This has been a very busy year, lots of interest in both trikes and fixed wing ultralight style aircraft. I am considering getting a fixed wing trainer and wanted to see what others are using for training aircraft, SLSA's or Experimenals with a LODA? It really seems like the lighter side of aviation is making a comeback.

There's a little ambiguity in your question for me. So, if this isn't an appropriate answer, simply ignore it. The Cub and Champ are < 87 its. Certainly not ultralights, though.

What I found or have heard that those looking to get a SP ticket and what they are doing. This is not everyone getting this ticket but some do it this way. They go out and buy a two seat whatever it is and then hire or have a friend who trains, train them in their new two seat airplane. As long as you own it you can train in it. This is why owner shared training clubs are popping up. No LODA needed if you own the airframe or airplane.

Tony

There is a CFI at the Torrance Airport in the south Los Angeles area. Giving Sport instruction (also UL) in a Quicksilver GT500 (<87kt, tandem) and a Trike. Jon Thornburg. Don't know his phone # but MGL Avionics is in the same building.
    Last edited by flyrgreen; 09-27-2016 at 12:27 AM. Reason: misspell