Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice Wanted for the Perfect Airplane

Advice Wanted for the Perfect Airplane

I'm new to this forum, so please forgive any ignorances or if this has been beat to death on here already.

Here's your chance to spread your knowledge (and opinions) about all of the great airplanes of the world.
    Our Twin Comanche is getting close to the point where it needs 2 engine and prop overhauls and a panel upgrade to at least an IFR GPS and ADS-B out, plus the Altimatic III is getting old and repairs for it are getting more expen$ive, so it shouldn't be ruled out that a new autopilot would be needed in the next 10 years. It is very sound structurally, and the gear is in top notch condition after a lot of work last winter on it.
    Here are what we're considering as options:
    Upgrade the TwinCo, starting with engines and props and then the panel.

Sell it, and build something like a Bearhawk 4-place that can be a good compromise between the twin and the Tri-Pacer, then sell the Tri-Pacer when it's finished. I think the RV-10 would be a good fit but it is out of our price range, and I don't know how it would handle our 2,700' grass strip which is not perfect and can get pretty soft at times. I looked a bit into the Aero Comp 6, but it doesn't seem that there is much of a following and I read some bad stories about factory support, so I don't like that option.

Trade either the Twin or both airplanes for some other certified aircraft. Here's where I really need some advice, because there are so many models that I have never flown or been around to know about maintenance costs and the quirks of them all.
    Some of the ones I've thought of are a different PA30 that is already fixed up the way we like, a C205/206, 182, Cherokee 6/300, or a Comanche 260. We're not doctors, so I haven't thought about Bonanzas.
    If we trade both for one, I think we want something that can fly slow enough to have fun flying local and taking rides in, but that could take 4 people and plenty of baggage on a trip. I'm thinking 130+ knots for 500nm (with IFR reserves) or better with 4 people and bags. I think there are a few airplanes that could do this and possibly more than I know about. We're leaning towards a high wing for visibility and the speed isn't as big of an issue as the useful load and practicality, but it has to be faster than driving. We do a lot of flying around the farm and the local area, so I don't want just a go-somewhere-fast kind of airplane. I'm not overly concerned about super short-field or mountain flying, but it has to be able to fly out of 2,700' grass in the summer. Density altitudes get up to around 3,500' in the summer. I really think in the long run, two airplanes are really not in the budget, so I'm trying as best I can to find that perfect compromise in one airplane. And I think something like 120,000 would be the budget for this one airplane.

Thank you in advance for any opinions and advice.

Keep the Twin Comanche, but don't fix anything till it breaks.

How much of the 2700' grass strip does the Twin Comanche use in the summer?

Tongue Out

The perfect airplane? Here goes:

1. Supersonic

2. Lands at 60 knots or less

3. + / - 10 G airframe, fully aerobatic

4. Holds at least 10 people

5. Has a sh!tter and a bar

6. All glass

7. Climbs to 60K feet in 10 minutes or less in order to ensure you can get above all the WX

8. Sips fuel

9. Never fails

10. Doesn't exist. . .

Quote Originally Posted by TomBush View Post
    The perfect airplane? Here goes:

7. Climbs to 60K feet in 10 minutes or less in order to ensure you can get above all the WX
    [Raises hand tentatively]: Can we add "Pressurized" to that list? :-)

Ron "Holding my breath" Wanttaja

Byron J. Covey
    There is no perfect airplane; that is why you need to own as many as possible.

BJC

This "perfect airplane" is the one that fits the bill the best with the lowest cost. Like I said, it's going to be a compromise but I just want some honest opinions from people who have flown AND had to foot the bill on some of these types of aircraft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like a Navion would fit perfectly. It would be right at home on a 2700' grass strip. Pick your engine based on your budget and performance desired. My 300hp Navion will cruise at 160 kts. The 260's ~140+ kts and 185/205 ~120+ kts. Any will haul 4 pax plus bags out of your strip. Get a ride in one and you'll be convinced.
    Regards,
    Greg Young
    1950 Navion N5221K
    RV-6 N6GY - first flight 5/16/2021
    1940 Rearwin Cloudster in work
    4 L-2 projects on deck

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
    Sounds like a Navion would fit perfectly. It would be right at home on a 2700' grass strip. Pick your engine based on your budget and performance desired. My 300hp Navion will cruise at 160 kts. The 260's ~140+ kts and 185/205 ~120+ kts. Any will haul 4 pax plus bags out of your strip. Get a ride in one and you'll be convinced.

Thank you for that piece of advice. I had actually not thought of a Navion and I've never been around them so I will have to try to find someone around here with one to go flying in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C180/ 185

Quote Originally Posted by Zac Weidner View Post
    Thank you for that piece of advice. I had actually not thought of a Navion and I've never been around them so I will have to try to find someone around here with one to go flying in.
    Where are you located? If anywhere near Houston I'll be glad to give you a ride. You can probably get a nice big engine Navion (IO-520/550 - 285/300hp) for $80k+.
    Regards,
    Greg Young
    1950 Navion N5221K
    RV-6 N6GY - first flight 5/16/2021
    1940 Rearwin Cloudster in work
    4 L-2 projects on deck