Thread: ADS-B out for experimental aircraft

ADS-B out for experimental aircraft

For those of you who have already installed ADS-B out in your experimental aircraft, i am interested in which equipment you installed, where you installed it, how satisfied you are with it, and how much it cost. Did you install it yourself or have a shop do it? I have a Rans S7S (small, tandem seating, tailwheel), which has very little room for additional avionics.

thanks,

Key

Self installed, NavWorks ADS-B out + WiFi in, Mownted under the seat Rans S6, about $2100.

Self installed DYNON SkyView package with G430W position source, transponder and ADS-B receiver. I absolutely love it.
    Galin
    KIS4 - N819PR
    CP, ASEL, AMEL, IR
    http://www.puertoricoflyer.com

Since you mentioned little room, I am assuming you mean panel space. The Dynon solution uses a remote transponder (Trig-22) and GPS antenna (GPS-2020) for out capability. If you want IN as well, get their remote ADS-B box and run 4 more wires. The total package for IN and OUT is currently around $3750 at ACS.

I'm not yet flying with mine but have heard from others, like Galin, that it is worth the expense.

FWIW, when I did my installation in March 2013 I canceled my $50/mo XM weather subscription. This means that since then I have saved more than $2,100 which is almost the cost of the Dynon equipment. Something to consider when making your decision.

Galin
    KIS4 - N819PR
    CP, ASEL, AMEL, IR
    http://www.puertoricoflyer.com

NavWorx ADS/B in and out in my RV-9A, love it, saved my butt once, avoided a mid air with it. I was on VFR flight following on Center and they didn't tell me about the traffic. Of course they don't have to.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Garmin GTX 23ES transponder coupled with a GTN 650 for out; GDL39 wired to my G3X EFIS for in. All self-installed. The GTX 23ES is a remote unit controlled through the EFIS and is mounted in the tailcone.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

Kept mine simple and inexpensive. Skyguard TWX with UAT Out, and both UAT and 1090ES-In coupled to both an iFly-740, and an Android running the iFly software for dual displays.

-Cub Builder
    Last edited by cub builder; 10-10-2016 at 08:55 AM.