Thread: Exhaust wrap?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Exhaust wrap?

Hi all,

Do any of y'all have any long term experience with wrapping the exhaust pipes to help keep the temperatures down in side the cowl, reduce heat transfer to wires, hoses, oil, other engine components? I've heard that the increased temperature of the pipes causes them to deteriorate faster than non-wrapped pipes. Others say not so - the deterioration is caused by moisture trapped under the wrap. What is your personal long term experience?

Thanks!
    Hofacker

Can't see cracks.....

I've had it on cars before (hot headers next to the starter cause problems) and I don't think they rusted any faster one way or the other. Personally, I preferred cast iron headers on my street cars (if available) just because of the rusting problem with tube headers, but stainless and ceramic coated headers are commonly available now. For an aircraft application I would just make the exhaust out of stainless & wrap it.

I'm currently wrapped on my Tango, but I'll probably go to a ceramic coating when the wrap fails.
    Someday I'll come up with something profound to put here.

I have been using the wrap on my stainless exhaust system for years with good results. Just be sure NOT to use it on mild steel exhaust systems, and when you do install it, be sure to paint it with high temperature paint to help seal it against oil leaks and to help it last longer.

is there damage being done to your cowls? Is the engine running hotter then you would like?