Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: equipment for IFR flight

An IFR Searey! Got to be cool. Rotax? Ducatti volage regulator? All your volts go through that VR. A VR on the cutting edge of motorcycle technology.

I would go with the optional backup battery for the D-180. I would suggest the back up ASI & Alt. I would even go with a turn coord with a venturi tube. The D-180 can be configured with an EHSI and that should deal with your dislike for the old style OBS/CDI. The D-180 can also take inputs for VHF nav with glideslope and that covers all bases. Iff you go with GPS only, remember check RAIM before TO.

The venturi can also serve as an emergency bow mooring cleat. I like B.U. steam gauges. I had 1K hours in a glass cockpit and still used the steam gauges during t.o. and landing. Your results may be different. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    Welcome to the 21st century.-- next you're going to tell us about ADF and 4-course ranges.
    Easy Terry, easy. Don't cut on us greybeards just because we came up in deprivation. I got my first 14.7 hours of hood in a J-3 "instrument trainer". Long boring story. Details on request. In 1960, Airway Amber 7 still ran from Key West along the eastern seaboard to Canada. You had to learn A from N. (later, it was D & U).

Later there was Manual loop, ADF, VHF nav, LoranC, Omega, DECA, DF and thank heaven for GPS.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Auburntsts View Post
    Welcome to the 21st century.-- next you're going to tell us about ADF and 4-course ranges. We've come a long ways since BlueMountain in terms of capability, reliability, and cost.

in the RV world, at least, my panel is very typical.
    Nah, I'm not quite THAT old. However, I do have multiple hours of actual IFR behind a completely non-standard panel. Boy do I appreciate the standard T!!!
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

Guys, my hat is off to you who flew with what at the time was a standard, but what many today would consider to be a minimal, panel. However, the truth is today a big chunk of the new to newish IFR equipped GA aircraft are TAA. My configuration is very common place and actually not all that expensive for the capability it provides, especially compared to what the non-E-AB crowd pays for the same capability.

Yes I readily admit you can fly IFR without the level of capability and redundancy I have. There is no right or wrong, but I do not advocate a minamalist approach.

Oh and Bob, the name is Todd not Terry.
    Todd “I drink and know things” Stovall
    PP ASEL - IA
    RV-10 N728TT - Flying
    EAA Lifetime Member
    WAR DAMN EAGLE!

I'm sorry Todd. My poor attention to detail. I'm with you that the 21st century is the best. I forgot one navaid in my little list. Microwave Landing System. I was based at KPTN when it was designated as one of the six initial MWLS in the US. Bottom line, I was knee deep in the books on that system when the FAA pulled the plug. Altho it was truly a 21st century deal, it was a money pit for all. Glad it did not come to pass. (Except it did go in Europe)

Bob

Todd, I think that this is more of a philosophical question -- fun for thinking and talking about, rather than what we might actually think we can get away with in flight.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com