Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: More Amelia Earhart Story

Zack, my posts on this topic have nothing to do with "political". it is only about Amelia and a related search. As for as I know the Tighar search has nothing to do with politics either.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 09-29-2016 at 06:40 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Zack Baughman View Post
    Gents - please drop the political jesting. There are plenty of other forums for those kinds of remarks.

Zack
    I prefer to call it satire because that's what it is. Most of the people on this forum are bright, intelligent and erudite offering a great diversity of thoughts, opinions, cogent arguments, skills and expertise in many subjects, disciplines and walks of life. I believe they can handle(and need) some good natured humour and kibitzing once in a while(if only as a diversion from the sometimes drudgery of day to day life)without putting the label of "political" on it.

There are few really good creative zingers on this thread like the one from 1600vw. Zack, I'd like to say please don't stifle our creative, humorous bent on occasion, but your the man here so I will defer. But think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    I prefer to call it satire because that's what it is. Most of the people on this forum are bright, intelligent and erudite offering a great diversity of thoughts, opinions, cogent arguments, skills and expertise in many subjects, disciplines and walks of life. I believe they can handle(and need) some good natured humour and kibitzing once in a while(if only as a diversion from the sometimes drudgery of day to day life)without putting the label of "political" on it.

There are few really good creative zingers on this thread like the one from 1600vw. Zack, I'd like to say please don't stifle our creative, humorous bent on occasion, but your the man here so I will defer. But think about it.
    The difficulty is, this sort of thing tends to escalate. What you might consider a fun, harmless zinger might not be interpreted by some in that way, and they may retaliate in a way that you find offensive...which triggers you to respond back. And pretty soon, we've got a full-frontal political screaming match going on. Seen it happen in other forums.

You might claim, "That's just Politically-Correct BS," and to some extent, you'd be right. But recall, this is EAA's "house." They have the right to establish the "tone" of discussion here, just like they can restrict the topics to those dealing with General Aviation. If you don't like it, start your own forum somewhere.

Bill, I don't think Zack's comment was directed at you.

Ron Wanttaja
    Last edited by rwanttaja; 09-29-2016 at 09:59 PM.

I am a harmless lurker here. I recently watched a favorite forum blow itself to bits with polarizing jokes/jabs/comments. May I refer you, PLEASE, to Poe's law?

Poe's law is an Internet adage which states that, without a clear indicator of the author's intent, extreme views cannot be distinguished from parodies of those extreme views.

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Bill, I don't think Zack's comment was directed at you.

Ron Wanttaja
    Right you are, hence the "Gents." In general, unless the conversation relates to some aviation-related bill in Congress, it's just best to avoid ANY politics on this forum. Pointpergame is absolutely correct regarding Poe's Law.

If someone writes the wrong comment on a topic, why not remove that comment and not the whole topic?
    Or else dont take so much offense at a remark or two. I dont think the comments about emails here were very funny, but really dont think its that important.

And by the way, I dont think Amelia is doing anymore long distance flighjts but has flown within the last couple of years. And I did hear her yesterday, didnt say she heard me.

P S Zack and I may disgagree on censorship, but he may be doing it for someone else and he's a good guy, gave me lots of free brownies.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post

P S Zack and I may disgagree on censorship, but he may be doing it for someone else and he's a good guy, gave me lots of free brownies.
    Zack is pretty familiar with the EAA Forums rules.

"The EAA Forums Forums are strictly for aviation related posts. Through much discussion and observation of other online forums, the decision was made to focus solely on aviation. Non-aviation discussions can be exceedingly challenging to moderate in an appropriate, open and positive way. Although non-aviation discussions can sometimes be fun, important or entertaining, they are discouraged from EAA Forums and may be removed. In particular, steer clear of politics and religion."

Byron J. Covey
    Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    I prefer to call it satire because that's what it is. Most of the people on this forum are bright, intelligent and erudite offering a great diversity of thoughts, opinions, cogent arguments, skills and expertise in many subjects, disciplines and walks of life. I believe they can handle(and need) some good natured humour and kibitzing once in a while(if only as a diversion from the sometimes drudgery of day to day life) ....
    I know of at least one pilot /EAA member who was recently seen masticating in public.

BJC

Quote Originally Posted by Byron J. Covey View Post
    I know of at least one pilot /EAA member who was recently seen masticating in public.
    And I went to a school where boys and girls matriculated together....

Ron Wanttaja

Byron J. Covey
    Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    And I went to a school where boys and girls matriculated together....

Ron Wanttaja
    Must be something wrong with me - I never really enjoyed matriculating.

BJC