Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Piloting other people's airplanes...

There are all different levels of comfort. I don't hesitate to offer the controls to my front seat pax, pilot or not. Some do, some don't. On the other hand I'm tentative when taking the controls of another probably because I so seldom fly in other planes. The really weird feeling is someone else flying left seat. I've got a friend who's plane has been down for an extended period. I helped him get current in mine and let him use it for his BFR. It was weird when I switched to the right seat and weirder still seeing my plane fly without me in it. I've also had a couple occasions to ride in my back seat and that's even more mind blowing. It ain't easy being a passenger.
    Regards,
    Greg Young
    1950 Navion N5221K
    RV-6 N6GY - first flight 5/16/2021
    1940 Rearwin Cloudster in work
    4 L-2 projects on deck

I share. I have had any number of non-pilots take the controls, on first rides. Several I have mentored through private pilot certificates, and a few through instrument, commercial and helped them get their start on 135 ops. So, I think that flying is fun, it is easy to share, and once we break the mystique, we gain pilots, more educated laymen which is all good for aviation. When offered the controls, I fly, although I agree, that I'd really like to know a bit about the airplane before I land it. There's just something about slow flight that makes me more comfortable close to the ground. My wife is now a student pilot, so she gets the controls any time she wants.

It is really weird to see my airplane fly without me in it. In the 26 years I've owned it, I think that's happened twice. I did ride the the back seat with another pilot when a friend asked if he and wife (both pilots) could use mine to pick up his new (vintage) bird. I think that was the first and last time in the back seat. Of course when there are pilots there are hijinks. The two back seat pilots waited quietly for the front seat driver to fine tune the trim, then we hunched forward and waited. Of course the next step was to lean back. Took my friend about 4 cycles to figure it out. We were duly chastised.

I share the controls with anyone in the right seat and am thrilled when they do the same for me. I've gotten to fly a few cool aircraft that way too: bonanza, jodel, and Pa-12. Why not let others fly? Planes pretty much fly themselves at cruising altitude. They aren't going to do any harm to the plane by making a few turns, climbing, and descending.

However, I know my limitations. I wouldn't try landing someone else's tailwheel airplane even if I had their permission. I have a tailwheel endorsement, but am not comfortable landing them.

In a house with my laptop.....somewhere in Collierville, TN
    I'll let others take the controls, especially on Young Eagles flights...and explain what the are doing. I'll take controls of another if they ask, especially if something I've never flown. However, if I don't fly from takeoff through landing, I don't consider that as having flown something.

I've been fortunate to have lots of people let me fly their airplanes, both with and without them along. I've flown 53 (I think, haven't checked lately) different make/models. I've only owned five. Glad other let me truly fly their airplanes. A good friend let me help fly off the Phase I hours on his S-1S Pitts a few years ago. IIRC, it had about 20 hours when he let me loose in it. My brother has also been dumb enough to turn me loose in his S-1S as well.

I also let others fly my planes, especially my Cub. It is kinda cool watching your own plane fly by.

Jim R
    Collierville, TN

N7155H--1946 Piper J-3 Cub
    N3368K--1946 Globe GC-1B Swift
    N4WJ--1994 Van's RV-4
    Jim Rice
    Wolf River Airport (54M)
    Collierville, TN

N4WJ 1994 Van's RV-4 (Flying)
    N3368K 1946 Globe GC-1B Swift (Flying)--For Sale
    N7155H 1946 Piper J-3C Cub (Flying)

Someone working on a psychology degree should study this. Personally, I am very reluctant to borrow someone else's horse. And on the very rare occasion when I do, I am very careful to leave it just like I found it. But I know some people who eagerly borrow planes and fly them like they were stolen.
    Bryan

Houston

Of course you would treat anyone's else's airplane with extra care, just as youd expect them to do yours.

As a CFI, I am frequently flying other people's airplanes, and I am happy to offer the controls of my plane to my passengers. Yes, you do want to be careful and respect the property of others. It also helps to have insurance for flying non-owned airplanes.