Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Membership Card

I don't carry an NRA membership card. Not even sure I have one. Same deal as with the EAA, the one time I needed to show membership (to get access to the range), they looked it up for me. I do carry the range card (cuts down on the discussion as to whether I've done there silly range safety test).

I used to carry my Vintage card so that I could get my plaque/mug but now they have that online as well (and besides the woman who runs the plaque operation knows who I am).

We are getting a little off track here, but what do I really carry use on a somewhat more than exceptional basis (or must carry by law)? Similar to flyingron: Military ID, debit card, drivers license, Pilot certificate, CC permit, range card (my range swipes the range card at check-in.) Also a spare train ticket and, of course, some folding money. Everything else is just a number that could be looked up otherwise.

Like Vintage, Warbirds already knows my number. I have been asked to produce my EAA card at Oshkosh, but as I wrote above, such things could be digitized and carried on an app on a smartphone (like a boarding pass on an airline.) The Pilot certificate could be carried in my flying wallet and never leave my flight bag, but, hey -- I am a pilot. (Also, I have used it as back up ID when I was required to show a second document with my address on it.)

I think I will go upstairs and take all of those other things out of my wallet and put into ready storage.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Byron J. Covey
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cernjar View Post
    Hi Paul,

Truthfully we ended up with the B-17 because it's a fan favorite and most people like that airplane, but it wasn't necessarily representative of all that EAA has to offer and could be misleading regarding what EAA is all about. When we start thinking about what plane could be on there, you can imagine that no matter which plane we picked, some would love it and others wouldn't! The basic design we put on now is a bit cleaner. What I'd really love to get to someday, although we have to do quite a bit of math to figure out if we can make the costs work, is allow members to put their own image on their card. Now THAT would be neat!

The reason we're going with 5 year intervals is we're looking to shave some costs that we can invest in other areas that will be more impactful for members. However, if you lose your card or it doesn't hold up, you can certainly give us a call and we can send you a replacement.

Thanks,
    Eric
    Use the first homebuilt; all airplanes descended from it.

BJC

Byron J. Covey
    At Oshkosh, a few years ago, I left my EAA membership card in the car. The person at registration insisted that I was not a member, because the computer said so. The problem was solved by inserting leading zeroes into my EAA membership number. That programming glitch has since been corrected.

BJC