Thread: Martin Mars damage and return home

Martin Mars damage and return home

Just wondering about the damage the Martin Mars sustained before the Saturday airshow. How bad was it and did it get repaired and the aircraft returned safely to its home base? How long did the repairs take and when did it get home? I heard they had a throttle body disintegrate and ran up on rocks and ended up with a hole in the hull.

Banned
    The Mars underwent temporary repairs to a small-ish area of the hull good enough to depart within 3 days after Osh ended. It flew the long trip to home base on Vancouver Island where final repairs are still underway or just completed. My understanding is that the hull struck the bottom in a shallow area on take off.

I heard that they had a throttle body disintegrate on one of the engines (not sure which one). How were they able to resolve that issue?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by gmilty View Post
    I heard that they had a throttle body disintegrate on one of the engines (not sure which one). How were they able to resolve that issue?
    You'll have to do your own research about what you "heard".

Floatsflyer, why are you being snarky about this? I "heard" about the throttle body from the guy running the Martin Mars booth on the Boeing circle so the source should be knowledgeable. He told me that when they were fast taxying one engine quit. Initially they thought they had a bird strike but it ultimately it turned out to be a throttle body disintegration. While they were taxying back to the buoy is when they ran up onto the rocks and holed the hull. I figured someone out there might know how they resolved this problem and thought I would ask. Please, try to show some class next time.