Thread: Keeping birds out of the hangar

Keeping birds out of the hangar

I have a hangar that has a door but it isn't 100% sealed off from the outside. Birds can fly in and often leave a mess. Because of this I always leave the airplane covered. Are there any tricks to keeping the birds out?

Rubber snakes on the rafters.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

I have a life size owl decoy with a bobble head. Slightest breeze and the head moves. I have had no bird problems in the 20 years I have had it, 5 of those years were in a open hangar. I move him around every few weeks.

I had a hanger that was open inside so it made no difference how well I sealed up my door, the birds would come in through a hanger neighbor’s door. Bird *.!# is hard on paint.

Bought an old parachute at the Army Surplus store and made a frame out of PCV pipe, rigged up some pulleys so I could raise and lower the chute over the airplane in just a couple of minutes. Worked great and the parachute material does not hold water so it did not create any corrosion problem in the plane.

I haven't tried this, but if you make it and it doesn't work, you could probably get enough people to hang around the plane when they watch it working. You could then give them a cloth to clean with.
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Rasp...ves-Repellent/