Thread: Who owns the AirVenture Land?

Who owns the AirVenture Land?

I've always wondered - does the EAA lease the lands it uses for AirVenture from Wittman Airport? The town of Oshkosh?

Does it own most of it and the 4 exhibit hangars and other permanent structures like the forum areas?

How is the area used between AirVentures?

Just curious on a Thursday Chicago morning - lol - I only see the place in July each year.

The airport and most all of the Airventure grounds is owned by Winnebago County. Most of the airplane parking areas is farmed during the off periods. In the past the "permanent" buildings have been used for certain other events like scout jamborees. The installation of flush toilets and heat in the new exhibit halls is an attempt to bring some more convention activity during the off-season.

Thanks Ron,

I knew somebody would have the info. Actually was asked the question this year by a tram passenger. Now I'll know for next year.

Back before it was HUGE, and was just "Oshkosh," the exhibit buildings were located by the tower and used for 50 weeks a year to store aircraft that were displayed at Convention, the cut-down Beetles, small portable sheds, fencing, flags, and grounds equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    The airport and most all of the Airventure grounds is owned by Winnebago County. Most of the airplane parking areas is farmed during the off periods. In the past the "permanent" buildings have been used for certain other events like scout jamborees. The installation of flush toilets and heat in the new exhibit halls is an attempt to bring some more convention activity during the off-season.
    You sure about that Ron? I've been told that the land east of Knapp St is county owned land on a long term lease from the county, and everything west is EAA owned, like hangers ABCD, Camp Scholler, ect.

Quote Originally Posted by krw920 View Post
    You sure about that Ron? I've been told that the land east of Knapp St is county owned land on a long term lease from the county, and everything west is EAA owned, like hangers ABCD, Camp Scholler, ect.
    Ok, I looked it up, the primary convention grounds land is owned by the county, but the buildings and the land under them are owned by EAA. All of the land encompassing Camp Scholler and the EAA Museum area are owned by EAA. Also the the Theater in the Woods area from Knapp east to the runway and south to the Ultralight strip area is all EAA land as well. You can check it out at http://wcgis.co.winnebago.wi.us/cgi-...s/wingsndx.cgi
    Last edited by krw920; 10-13-2016 at 10:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by crusty old aviator View Post
    Back before it was HUGE, and was just "Oshkosh," the exhibit buildings were located by the tower and used for 50 weeks a year to store aircraft that were displayed at Convention, the cut-down Beetles, small portable sheds, fencing, flags, and grounds equipment.
    For outside of Wisconsin, it was Oshkosh. For the locals, it's always "The EAA."

Byron J. Covey
    Quote Originally Posted by crusty old aviator View Post
    Back before it was HUGE, and was just "Oshkosh," ...
    And back before it was "Oshkosh", it was "Rockford" and before that, ...

BJC