Thread: Not only phones are smart anymore. Now we have Smart Bolts.

Not only phones are smart anymore. Now we have Smart Bolts.

Sounds like a way to increase the cost of bolts
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

Neat idea....

Ive seen those on some industrial machinery to save time checking fasteners after shipping the equipment. Probably not much use in aviation, where the fasteners are either A) not put into stretch or B) by the time you lose clamp load somethings already broken. The company I work for looked at them but soon realized for engines they were pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Novak View Post
    Ive seen those on some industrial machinery to save time checking fasteners after shipping the equipment. Probably not much use in aviation, where the fasteners are either A) not put into stretch or B) by the time you lose clamp load somethings already broken. The company I work for looked at them but soon realized for engines they were pointless.
    I can understand "not cost-effective" Aaron, but "pointless"? Please elaborate.

There are many places in assembly where the bolts are installed, someone else torques them, then someone else comes along and safeties (or torque-seals) them. Lots of places for a distraction that could leave a bolt improperly torqued. This would seem to provide a quick visual verification. At a breathtaking cost no doubt, but every aircraft has at least one Jesus-bolt in tension.

-Chip-