Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SolidWorks EAA Users Group and Libraries

SolidWorks EAA Users Group and Libraries

Friends,

I hope to download SolidWorks soon, if my graphics drivers will accommodate it.

Do we have...
    • An Official User Group, with leaders and or mentor / trainers.
    • Have we started an EAA Library of parts ( MS fasteners, wheels, brakes etc etc etc ).

Thank you and I look forward to your replies,

My best,
    Anthony

SOLIDWORKS Support Volunteer Jeffrey Meyer's Avatar
    Official EAA Users group: You're on it - welcome aboard.

EAA Library of parts: Great Idea - perhaps we can convince the EAA (Cory?) to get some space assigned on the EAA servers?!

Our advice is to post designs to GrabCAD (https://grabcad.com/library/software/solidworks) and share the link on this Forum thread: http://eaaforums.org/showthread.php?...S-Designs-Here

Honestly, you could post them anywhere as long as you share a link with us on the thread above.

For the library; I'd recommend GitHub or similar services: no need for Cory et al to set up anything special.

I started a small library with AN hardware and some bearings way back when, here: https://github.com/fidot1983/swx
    Description with pictures and file by file links: http://79ft.net/pages/solidworks-models.html

Gents,

Thanks. I downloaded SW & without a recommended graphics card it works, for now. Getting into heavy modeling might be a different story. Former Cad wonk on this end 20 yrs in the biz but that was a couple of careers ago. A Local Community College has a class, any thoughts on signing up? I'd have to do it today, or wait until next semester. Any thoughts?

My best,
    Anthony

Do it, and don't hesitate. Trying on my own is frustrating.

SOLIDWORKS Support Volunteer
    Quote Originally Posted by AJLiberatore View Post
    Gents,

Thanks. I downloaded SW & without a recommended graphics card it works, for now. Getting into heavy modeling might be a different story. Former Cad wonk on this end 20 yrs in the biz but that was a couple of careers ago. A Local Community College has a class, any thoughts on signing up? I'd have to do it today, or wait until next semester. Any thoughts?

My best,
    Anthony
    Classes at your local community college is a great way to go. I would sign up for this semester if you can fit it into your schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaWood View Post
    Classes at your local community college is a great way to go. I would sign up for this semester if you can fit it into your schedule.
    Anna, and other Posters,

Thanks, I did just that. I got in late, however the 1st 2 classes were one intro, and the 2nd ( and 3rd I attended ) were plagued with software issues. I happened to see the Prof, later in the week and hopefully their MIS staff has the issues ironed out. As a visual learner it is worth it's weight in gold. The textbook, the Community College videos and all the assets available if you join the SolidWorks Community should do the trick. My journey continues. I'll keep everyone posted.

Thanks! My best,
    Anthony

Folks,

An update. I am almost done with the class. Frankly, I am not sure I could have gotten to this point with my modeling and drawing skill set without it. IMHO this might be a difficult program to learn on your own, classes might be a must, it is complicated and intertwined software. Tangent to this is the tips and tricks { that you have to ask about } ( or follow the directions in the books to the tee, i.e. a command with in a command { and auxiliary snipped within a spline } can cost you dearly in time consumed trying to use the software. At this point, any suggestions as to the Solidworks user groups ( and this one ) in terms of assistance? I almost wish their was a help line at times....

My best, Anthony

SOLIDWORKS Support Volunteer Jeffrey Meyer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AJLiberatore View Post
    Folks,
    .... I almost wish their was a help line at times....
    Hi Anthony (May I call you Tony, or AJ?)

There IS an EAA help line with the emphasis on at times. It's my understanding that that's what this forum is all about.

Speaking strictly for myself, I can and am willing to talk to you on Whatsapp, at times. In addition there exists a neat freeware program called TeamViewer that enables you to remotely work on my computer desktop (or me to work on yours) in Internet "real time", all this at times.

I emphasize the at times because I have to set expectations in this regard:
    1. My clock is 6 or 7 hours ahead of yours,
    2. I have to earn a living (sometimes) and I'm doing this on a voluntary basis so I can't commit to be available at any particular times or to react within any given time,
    3. I have no access to official SW support so I can't guarantee that I can answer all your questions and I certainly don't know everything about everything. (However, in the past I gained considerable experience giving telephone support to CAD users, and very seldom required help from the official help-desk.)

On the positive side, I'm sure there are also other EAA users of SW who can contribute similar (if not better) hot-line support subject to their particular limitations.

Jeffrey