Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camping Planning

Camping Planning

Hi, All;

I've been to every every Convention since 2004 (yeah, I know most of you have been here since the '50's...), but have never camped.

We *may* have a small (17') tow trailer available for 2017. I've been in/around Camp Scholler many times to either visit the 50% off store or to drop friends off after an evening's dinner, but I really don't know much else about it.

1. The Camp Scholler pages state that you pay upfront from the time you "secure" a site until July 31st, with unused days being refunded at the end. My question is: When is the campsite "secured"? When I call or go online to make a reservation? As in, if I book it on June 15th, do I then have to pay for 45 days?

2. The way I read it, I *think* I read that if you obtain an "improved" website that there are no refunds for unused days. Is that correct?

3. Do people pull-out their trailers to go dump the black/grey tanks? Or do most just pay for the service to come around to your campsite? Also, is it true that they can also fill your city water tank as well?

4. Do you register online to reserve an unimproved campsite, or is it just show up and pay yer money and get the luck of the draw?

5. Do they "assign" unimproved campsites, or do you just drive around and find your own? I *believe* I read that you are assigned a site with connections when you book one of those online, but may have read that wrong.

6. Are the unimproved campsites marked in any way? How do I know as I pull in whether I'm straddling a line or not?

7. Is there better information for first-timers available?

Are there questions I should have asked but didn't?

Thanks!

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    Hi, All;

I've been to every every Convention since 2004 (yeah, I know most of you have been here since the '50's...), but have never camped.

We *may* have a small (17') tow trailer available for 2017. I've been in/around Camp Scholler many times to either visit the 50% off store or to drop friends off after an evening's dinner, but I really don't know much else about it.

1. The Camp Scholler pages state that you pay upfront from the time you "secure" a site until July 31st, with unused days being refunded at the end. My question is: When is the campsite "secured"? When I call or go online to make a reservation? As in, if I book it on June 15th, do I then have to pay for 45 days?

2. The way I read it, I *think* I read that if you obtain an "improved" website that there are no refunds for unused days. Is that correct?

3. Do people pull-out their trailers to go dump the black/grey tanks? Or do most just pay for the service to come around to your campsite? Also, is it true that they can also fill your city water tank as well?

4. Do you register online to reserve an unimproved campsite, or is it just show up and pay yer money and get the luck of the draw?

5. Do they "assign" unimproved campsites, or do you just drive around and find your own? I *believe* I read that you are assigned a site with connections when you book one of those online, but may have read that wrong.

6. Are the unimproved campsites marked in any way? How do I know as I pull in whether I'm straddling a line or not?

7. Is there better information for first-timers available?

Are there questions I should have asked but didn't?

Thanks!
    Hope this helps with some of your questions.

1. The camp ground opens up the last Friday in June. For the unimproved sites, you pay for the camping from the time you stake out your campsite or purchase online to the end of the show, should you leave early, they refund the difference.

For the improved sites, you reserve that online and pay from the day reserve the site to the end of the show. Refunds do not apply for the improved sites. I don't know this for sure, but I assume that the online registration for the improved site opens the same day as the campground. Improved sites have to be reserved using the online system.

2. Refunds do not apply for the improved sites

3. Dispose of all grayand black water at no charge at the 24-hour Dump Station, located on Stits Road. Mobile holding tank purging services and water tank refills are available for a fee at the Ice Store. http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/pla...BE55A52CF&_z=z

4. For unimproved sites you can register/purchase online through the purchase AirVenture Tickets website or register/purchase at camper registration when you arrive No matter how you purchase the camping, unimproved sites are basically the luck of the draw.
    http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/eaa-airventure-tickets

5. Unimproved sites are not assigned, as you said, you drive around and look for an area that is not claimed that you like. The way I read the online registration for the improved sites, you are able to select the site when registering/purchasing.
    http://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-news-a...s-going-online

6. Unimproved sites are not marked out except for the burn line to mark the roads. Individual campsites are approximately 20 feet x 30 feet in size.

7. These links may provide some additional information.
    http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/pla...ler/guidelines
    http://www.eaa.org/en/airventure/pla...mping-services

Thank You, Todd;

I'm still needing some information on #3. Do folks pull-out their trailer in the middle of the week? IOW, is there enough maneuvering room to do that, and then to pull back in, or must you back it in upon your return from the dump site.

And, on #5, does the "free form stake-out" result in any issues such as one guy pulling in, then a second guy pulls in two spaces down, but there's only 15' between the two sites. Do the ethereal "they" come around and make you move your stuff, or they just let the space go to waste?

And an un-asked question: If you choose an unimproved site, how do you register the site NUMBER that you've chosen? Just go back to registration once you're parked to let them know you're 90 ft south of Elm on 5th street?

Thanks; yeah, I'm anal-retentive and am just trying to understand the best I can before trying this.....

Carl Orton

Thank You, Todd;

I'm still needing some information on #3. Do folks pull-out their trailer in the middle of the week? IOW, is there enough maneuvering room to do that, and then to pull back in, or must you back it in upon your return from the dump site.

And, on #5, does the "free form stake-out" result in any issues such as one guy pulling in, then a second guy pulls in two spaces down, but there's only 15' between the two sites. Do the ethereal "they" come around and make you move your stuff, or they just let the space go to waste?

A
    Someone else with a tent will at some point, fill that 15'.

Thank You, Todd;

And an un-asked question: If you choose an unimproved site, how do you register the site NUMBER that you've chosen? Just go back to registration once you're parked to let them know you're 90 ft south of Elm on 5th street?

Thanks; yeah, I'm anal-retentive and am just trying to understand the best I can before trying this.....
    I agree with MazdaP5, someone will take the space. They don't pull or move stakes unless someone has taken way more than the space needed based on the number of camping tags in that area. For example, I usually stake out 7 campsites for our group with just one ribbon around the perimeter of all the sites and place all 7 tags in that area.

There are no site numbers and you do not let them know where you staked your claim, but you do have to display the camper registration tag that they provide when you register/purchase camping. This is either displayed on the camping unit if it arrives at the same time or people will attach it to a stake in their claim if the camping unit is to arrive latter.

I guess it all depends on the size of a camping unit and the surroundings if they want to deal with pulling a rig in and out to go dump. So that is a personal preference. I personally rely on the shower houses and the port a johns during the week.

Todd

So it sounds like I should bring some stakes and a measuring tape to mark my area? Ribbon to string between the stakes?

Carl Orton

Yeah, if you plan on leaving the site and coming back, definitely stake off your sight. I use marking ribbon and stakes right on the ground. I tent, but leave with my car to go into town most nights for dinner, at least if the streets are't mudded in.

So it sounds like I should bring some stakes and a measuring tape to mark my area? Ribbon to string between the stakes?
    Stake and caution type tape or some type of ribbon for between the stakes is a good idea. Also if you are not placing the camping unit on the site at the same time, I would suggest a zip lock bag to put the camping registration card in and some duct tape to attach the bag to a stake that you put somewhere in the middle of the site. I know some people will also take ground marking paint to put around the stakes as well. Personally I think it is a little over and above, may show if a stake was moved. I think for the most part everyone is honest and considerate at leaving things alone.

A question you have not asked is how early you need to be there to get a good spot, and that depends on what you are willing to pay and where you want to be.

If you want to be in Paul's Woods area or the east side along the Knapp St, you have to be early, many people in that area have their spot they have been in forever and arrive opening day to get it. However there is many areas that still remain open in this area for a week or so after opening day as well. Of course the latter you arrive, the farther west you will be in the grounds. I have known people to arrive the week before the show and be lucky enough to be just west of Paul's Woods.

It looks like you come from a little ways away. If you like X country flying, many people will fly in to stake out a site early, but it is a bit of a walk from the airport, out to registration to get the credentials. Another option is if some friends arrive early to stake out, you can register online and they could pick your credentials. You just have to inform the registration area that someone else will be picking it up for you.
    Last edited by Todd Ritzman; 09-03-2016 at 09:58 AM.

Thanks for bringing these questions to light.

Sorry, still a little confused about 'improved sites'.

If I remember right, you can only reserve them online, but even so, because there are just so many available, that only puts you on a list so that those that registered for one before you did have priority so you may not actually get an improved site after all, correct?

Ive only 'RV'd' in Camp Scholler, so far, but one thing that you need to do (I missed this years AirVenture so improvements might have been made) before you stake out a site is to look around. There's almost always a bout of heavy rains during the week and in the past there have been areas that flood, meaning, a few inches to a foot of standing water proceeded by a mud quagmire. Look for low spots where water will accumulate. If your lucky, it will already have rained heavily enough that you can see the small lakes forming.

Also, it's nice to have a Porta-Potty close by so you don't fill your black water tank up but, the Porta-Pottys get used all night and the doors typically loudly slam shut, so don't stake a spot too close to them.

In the past I would try to save a couple bucks and drive the RV over to the dump site but, it can be a hassle and in the past towards the end of the week the dump site has become so bad it becomes a 'Hazardous Waste do not enter zone'. Just pay the fee and have the poop sucker truck come right to your campsite.
    Last edited by Mike A; 09-03-2016 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike A View Post
    Thanks for bringing these questions to light.

Sorry, still a little confused about 'improved sites'.

If I remember right, you can only reserve them online, but even so, because there are just so many available, that only puts you on a list so that those that registered for one before you did have priority so you may not actually get an improved site after all, correct?

Ive only 'RV'd' in Camp Scholler, so far, but one thing that you need to do (I missed this years AirVenture so improvements might have been made) before you stake out a site is to look around. There's almost always a bout of heavy rains during the week and in the past there have been areas that flood, meaning, a few inches to a foot of standing water proceeded by a mud quagmire. Look for low spots where water will accumulate. If your lucky, it will already have rained heavily enough that you can see the small lakes forming.

Also, it's nice to have a Porta-Potty close by so you don't fill your black water tank up but, the Porta-Pottys get used all night and the doors typically loudly slam shut, so don't stake a spot too close to them.

In the past I would try to save a couple bucks and drive the RV over to the dump site but, it can be a hassle and in the past towards the end of the week the dump site has become so bad it becomes a 'Hazardous Waste do not enter zone'. Just pay the fee and have the poop sucker truck come right to your campsite.
    The way I read their article for when they announced that the registration for the improved sites was going to be online, you would be able to view which campsites were available and choose the site that you wanted from the available sites. Once the sites are all sold/claimed, the online site would no longer show any availability and someone would no longer even be able to purchase an improved site.

Todd