Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh Trams, Can we do Better!

Good to know - extending the Blue route further south, even if only half way down, might merit some chair consideration- as it is now there are only 3 stops end to end. I am not familiar with the current school bus schedules down south beyond the U/L runway south end, or how that would interact?

This entire thread will be sent to the Zorns at some point well before next year for their consideration and possible submission to the authorities at EAA who do make the final decisions.

They should realize that this road exists. The tram operation is redirected there when the "bird line" (Thunderbird/Snowbirds) was in effect.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    When I try to volunteer at an area that I haven't before, I'm often greeted with a "we don't take no stinkin' newbies..." response.

I had this response from vintage this year. Was very surprised that they didnt seem to want my help when I went over to sign up on the Monday. They made me feel like I was inconveniencing them and I ended up walking away and not volunteering with them. If more volunteers are required on the trams next year I will be more than happy to get involved.

Eh? Which part of vintage? I have worked Vintage Flight Line for 17 years and there has never been an anti-newbie attitude. We train at 9 and 1 PM every day and that's all the "sign up" you need. Once you're trained you just show up when you want to work and we'll (well mostly my wife) will send you out to do something.

Ron, I know the road you are talking about, been down it many times, but once you cross the creek and get abeam the showers, it is unimproved mud and grass. The EAA don t like us going down there cause it tears up the landscape I guess (even though the tractors will pull through there). I have seen the Kobusin busses get stuck down there. Would be a good idea to pave or harden the area in the south 40 some how.

Bill L

EAA really needs to find a way to reduce the number of vehicles. The overload of golf carts and gators is ridiculous, and from what I could tell, most of them were NOT being used by vendors on vendor business. The worst example I saw was a family of four tooling down the road from the vintage barn to the Hangar Cafe, after the Saturday airshow, with two toddlers on the dad's lap, doing the "steering" and veering all over the place. It was ridiculous.

EAA also needs to do something about rental of mobility scooters by non-disabled people. Of course I realize that not all disabilities are visible, but when the scooter is being ridden by a couple in their 30s, with the wife sitting on the husband's lap, or there are four men in their 20s all riding scooters in a group, well, it makes me wonder. (I took this picture because I know the owner of this airplane and I was kind of worried someone might run into it with his scooter. They were also across the Snowbird burn line and the marshals asked them to leave a couple of minutes later.)

IDK exactly how EAA could restrict the rentals apart from requiring that the person show a handicapped parking permit, or some kind of letter from a doctor, but things were pretty out of control this year.

That would reduce the traffic the trams have to deal with. I also would be in favor of reinstating the tower "all change" spot, in addition to the Hangar Cafe; I like the idea of a single tram that goes all the way up and down the grounds, but that does bring up the problem of people who just stay on and ride around for the view. I didn't ride the green tram but I like the idea of one that covers the western part of the grounds.

The trams are an awesome addition to EAA. Thanks to the volunteers and donors who make them possible.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by BeagleOne; 09-08-2016 at 09:32 AM.

Toddlers at the wheel! This was taken just after the Saturday Snowbird performance, when lots of people were leaving the grounds and foot traffic along the road was very heavy. I was on a southbound tram and these people came from the exhibit hangar area, down the road past the Theater in the Woods, past Vintage, and ended up at the Hangar Cafe, weaving through the pedestrians and almost hitting several of them as the kids "steered".
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by BeagleOne; 09-08-2016 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BeagleOne View Post
    Toddlers at the wheel! This was taken just after the Saturday Snowbird performance, when lots of people were leaving the grounds and foot traffic along the road was very heavy. I was on a southbound tram and these people came from the exhibit hangar area, down the road past the Theater in the Woods, past Vintage, and ended up at the Hangar Cafe, weaving through the pedestrians and almost hitting several of them as the kids "steered".
    If it was so dangerous, why didn't you call the police? I'm seeing a dad doing what so many in this country don't do; spending a little quality time with his son and have a little fun. Things families and people used to do before everyone got so offended with everything.
    Bryan

Houston

Well, believe it or not, the number of vehicles in most places on the grounds is GREATLY DIMINISHED compared to what it was in the past. It used to be really bad. As for you determining who merits mobility devices or not, that's a large can of worms the EAA should not be getting into. Some people can walk fine over short distances but not over the miles of distance to get from parking to the show and back.

Allowing children to operate a golf cart or gator is ABSOLUTELY illegal on the grounds. There are STRICT rules on this and the chairmen, etc... can not make exceptions. If you see something like this happen contact security. If I'd have seen it happening in Vintage I'd have had them over there quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Eh? Which part of vintage? I have worked Vintage Flight Line for 17 years and there has never been an anti-newbie attitude. We train at 9 and 1 PM every day and that's all the "sign up" you need. Once you're trained you just show up when you want to work and we'll (well mostly my wife) will send you out to do something.
    I came along before 9am Monday looking to volunteer the whole week. I was open to doing whatever was required. I chose vintage as I am a VAA member, although have never volunteered before. I dont remember the girls name, was a younger girl, around college aged at the booth. Getting information was like pulling teeth and she had no intention of helping me out. Not to worry though. I will be back next year willing to volunteer. I still had a blast at OSH just like every year!