Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh Trams, Can we do Better!

Oshkosh Trams, Can we do Better!

Disclaimer: Thank you for all the volunteers who drove the trams durning OSH2016. The comments below in no way reflect on you generosity in giving of your free time!

I feel it is time for a complete over haul of the tram system run durning OSH. First lets talk about perceived problems then lets Suggest some solutions. This year as we set a record attendance at OSH I felt like we reached a plateau in the overall positive experience versus fighting the crowd. Because of the size of OSH and the aging crowds the tram system has become a vital part to move people from one location to another. I understand that because the event is only one week a year there is a certain level of efficiency Versus cost that will be reached.

Problems:
    At intermediate stops trams were full most of the time.
    Trams bunching up together so as there were long waits some times.
    Tram stations became very muddy when rain fell.
    Trams Didn't run frequently on Sunday before OSH started on Monday.
    The color tram Flags have become outdated and confusing.

Solutions:
    Create a core group of volunteers with better training for each driver and rear attendant.
    Add an attendant at each tram stop on the ground to help regulate timing so trams don't get bunched up one right after another. In other words the ground attendant would monitor spacing and not let the stopped tram leave until the previous tram had some time to move father ahead.
    Prepare larger tram stations the week prior with crushed rock for better drainage.
    Use Sunday as a training and practice day and it also helps arriving pilots move out to front bus station to ride to the housing.
    Consider adding banners or some type of better signage on top of trams that show the route.
    Consider adding express trams that start at the ultra lights and go non stop the the war birds. Maybe this will help free up intermediate stops for other passengers. These express trams can exit fairgrounds at the one-man-band location, run the outer edge along the fence and reenter along the
    Foundation Rd and reverse course the same route.
    Create a position, which might be called the Tram Czar, for one guy who spends the whole week supervising the tram system with a few associates with walky talkies to help him keep the trams running at optimum levels. Maybe they could loan him a window in the back of the tower facing west.

OK, Oshkosh attendees lets hear your thoughts on the subject.

For background - I am a tram conductor with several years on the microphone.

There already IS a tram 'czar' and his small staff with walkie-talkies - who do their very best to keep things rolling and flowing.

Part of the problem with trams 'bunching up' happens at the VERY active taxiway by Warbirds. ALL road traffic gets stopped till the planes clear. The same happens from Vintage to Ultralights as planes move in and out of parking areas.

I did see a few straw trucks out trying to keep waiting areas habitable, but Mother Nature is a mean woman sometimes. Doubtless that group could also benefit from more volunteers to throw straw from the back of their dump truck.

I would like to see trams run further south of the ultralight area but the road would need MUCH improvement. Not much suspension on those tram carts - lol

This year they added to the Green route to move folks from the Bus Park past the Main gate and over to the Red Barn Camp Store and the west entrance to the Fly Market - which was well received. They also experimented with a new route through the Homebuilt area on the Red route.

Banners/signs is a great idea - the tractor donor only allows taping items to the rigs (like pennant flag sticks) as they are offered for sale after AirVenture.

As to staff at each tram stop? I am certain that if another 100+ folks step up and volunteer next year management might consider that type of position. As it exists now it was sometimes difficult to have sufficient drivers/conductors to keep all units on the street. It was NOT unusual for some of us to go a full 6+ hour shift with NO or perhaps just one break.

IMHO as many trams as they had pairs of volunteers to work them were on the streets both Saturday and Sunday before the show opened, I know because I also worked both days all the way thru to the following Saturday evening. But NO, the entire tram fleet was not in service those two days.

Another factor slowing down 'smooth' efficient operation is the simple nature of the beast. 35+trams competing with 75,000 pedestrians who are NOT aware of their surroundings, gawking at aircraft as they should, looking at the skies and not seeing 45 feet of tram coming at them. Then add sharing the limited roads with a phalanx of golf carts, mobility scooters and service vehicles. This year add the insanity called PokeGo, where one wanders around oblivious staring at a smartphone screen, whilst one walks off a cliff, into a tree or directly in front of a John Deere trying to keep from churning the pokey-seeker under its wheels..

In my personal opinion, the trams ran best when half the passengers exit at each stop, allowing 20 more folks a chance to ride to the next stop. I watched the most 'unhappiness' when NOONE got off at a stop, forcing us to leave behind a sea of non-smiling faces. And they ran SUPERBLY when we were able to provide a lift to folks who were elderly or with limited mobility, in wheelchairs, on crutches etc, which IMHO is the TRUE reason the trams exist.

As for me, I had only one jerk passenger on a route all week and got to interact with wonderful people from all over the world. I'm eagerly awaiting next year. Each tram team (driver and conductor) receives sufficient training for the task IMHO. Some are married couples, some are single volunteers like myself who are then partnered with another as needed. I opt to wander the grounds when off-shift to learn as much as I can about what is where to be able to pass that info on to my tram passengers as we travel. That and I enjoy 'entertaining' them en route with corny jokes and light hearted banter to keep the mood festive.

As every volunteer group at AirVenture would say - "more volunteers please". It's a dirty thankless job most times, but it IS rewarding. Services can only be expanded if the workforce grows....and that is NOT up to EAA home office, it's up to us, the membership.
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 08-30-2016 at 07:41 AM.

I, like chicagorandy have been tram driving for almost 12 years now and while he hits the proverbial nail on the head, he forgot to mention a couple other things.
    1. Not only is the Warbird taxiway a major choke point for back up, but when the Aviation Universities decide they want to showcase a plane by towing it from RV parking to their display site, that will stop traffic for up to 30 minutes at times. These trams do not make very good off road vehicles if you try to go onto the grass to get around them.
    2. The tram stops used to be identified by "bread board" signs on both sides of the roads, for some reason, someone at HQ decided on signs on one side only.
    3. Another hold up is people stopping the tram at the stop to ask a driver or conductor, that are trying to leave, which direction is the tram going ( lots of time in broken English). The conductor is usually shouting the info on the PA system, but either there is no one listening or there are a flock of jets going overhead making conversation unheard. There also numerous signs showing routes, at the stops, in the map that you get when you pay admission and those fancy info towers that have tons of info on them.
    4. I would make it at least another 150 volunteers to help out. But then there are usually volunteers that decide to leave in the middle of the week. While not uncommon to drive without a break, when you have to do a double shift for lack of people, that is another story.
    5. Too many people working for vendors ( mostly teens) who are given a golf cart, scooter or gator and not told about speeding or weaving in and out of traffic.
    I could go on forever, having worked under a couple past regimes.
    Are there more improvements that could be made ? Yes. INMHO, the Zorn family has improved things greatly and I am sure they will continue to do so.

My 'favorite' question, asked literally a hundred times a day is "Which way does the Northbound tram go?" And I maintain my smile and positive attitude and point the way.

At the Main tower switch point where the North & Southbound Red trams stop to allow folks to exit or get on a Green tram over to the Bus Park etc. there are literally LARGE signs showing which side of the road to stand to go north or south. Care to guess how many people try to jump off a tram starting to move after they hear me say for the 5th time THIS IS THE NORTHBOUND TRAM TO WARBIRDS over the PA system?

My only hope is that folks understand that once we get that machine rolling, we kinda have to keep rolling, and not stop to again state our compass heading in a private conversation with them.

I always make mention that Piper Aircraft is the sponsor of all the trams at AirVenture and encourage guests to stop by their display and say hi and thanks. I do every year and hear from Piper staff that at least a few people do.

I suspect that LOTS of changes are theoretically possible, but as the OP mentions, there is a realistic cost/benefit calculation for a once a year event, subject to the vagaries of volunteerism.

I try to volunteer about 3-4 days of each Convention. Other club/committee functions limit me somewhat. When I try to volunteer at an area that I haven't before, I'm often greeted with a "we don't take no stinkin' newbies..." response.

If you need more volunteers, might I suggest posting a note here to that effect. I had no idea trams were being idled due to lack of teams.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Carl, in my many years in trams, I don t think I have ever seen anyone turned away unless they had a "problem". I have driven and conducted and aside from needing a stiff drink at the end of some shifts because of encounters listed above, I have enjoyed it. In Feb. or March when they start looking for volunteers, contact the people listed in volunteer section of this site.

Bill L

Bill, thanks for the response. I have never tried to work the trams because I just "assumed" they were usually full-up. My comment above was based on experiences in other areas.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

I see you have a Sonex. I am working on the longest record build time of one Since 2008. LOL

Carl - if you decide to sign up? Look forward to working with ya' next year - depending on the shift you get assigned (either 8-2 or 2-8) you still will have several hours free to wander the grounds and buildings, and having been on the trams will have a good idea of where you want to concentrate your gawking each day.

One thing I've suggested in the past (and maybe with the Tram volunteers here this year I can get some traction) is better signage. You can elimiate much confusion and much of the questions needed of the conductor if you would put up signs at the boarding points that indicate where the tram that stops there goes.

For example "BOARD HERE FOR EXHIBIT BUILDINGS, FORUMS, WARBIRDS, NORTH 40"