Thread: Help Please, Engine Smell?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bill L. and Dave, thanks, I just spoke by phone to a top Beech shop and they said there is an exhaust junction low on the right side and to check if the gasket might be leaking exhaust blowing on a wire. I will try to look for that.
    I appreciate the suggestions.

I just had a friend run the engine while I opened the right side cowling. Sure enough in a moment, the same smell, and smoke came out of the vent on top of the alternator. Why is not yet known, did the alt just go bad or did something cause it to overheat?
    Strangely nothing indicated on load meter, and could not generate a load with turning on some switches. . Exhaust, as for as we can see seems ok, is hard to see down low under things. The smell is bad!!!!
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 08-30-2016 at 10:57 AM.

Alternator is not working, but ran it for a few moments with alt off and doesnt seem to be burning, no smoke or smell so Ive ordered an OH alt. We'll see
    Thanks

After installing an oh alternator, and doing a run up, it is normal. No acrid smell,or smoke, or leaks and it is charging 28.5 volts is should.And the loadmeter which didnt show an load at all before, now was normal. It must run through the alternator. The bearing in the alterantor was good and turned freely, so we dont know exactly what caused it to fail. Electric burning smoke is very acrid and doesn't small like exhuast or even an oil leak.
    Thanks for all the suggestions.

I usually blame the dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    After installing an oh alternator, and doing a run up, it is normal. No acrid smell,or smoke, or leaks and it is charging 28.5 volts is should.And the loadmeter which didnt show an load at all before, now was normal. It must run through the alternator. The bearing in the alterantor was good and turned freely, so we dont know exactly what caused it to fail. Electric burning smoke is very acrid and doesn't small like exhuast or even an oil leak.
    Thanks for all the suggestions.
    Bill,

The "load meter" is an ammeter that shows the load from the alternator into the bus to support the electronics. If you're turning things on and the meter stays at zero, that means the load is being carried by the battery rather than the alternator, or in other words, the alternator was dead. Good choice.

-Cub Builder