Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I parked my Vintage Aircraft in GAC at #OSH16

I have to agree with the original post. We arrived Sunday and were unable to get camping in VAC as they sent us down to the GAC in the South 40. The frustrating part, was the large number of open spots in VAC that we saw but where not available to Vintage Aircraft due to large sections be reserved for type clubs. Seemed like by Tuesday these same spots where opened up for non-VAC aircraft to park in when parking on the field became saturated.

Yes they did have a nice registration building on the South 40 but its hours of operation made it so you could not buy ice when you came back to your site after the airshow and they opened too late in the morning to buy any before you left for the day.

I appreciate that some of the Swift, C170, Comanche etc. owners may like to camp together, but when they block off space that goes unused when planes are not able to make it in for various reasons, does it not seem more fair to simply provide parking on a first come first serve bases? If a group wants to camp together, then why don’t they just do a mass arrival as the Bonanza and Mooney pilots do?

The GA overflow was limited to the "Green Acres" field down south. There are a number of areas in Vintage that get reserved. North of the crossover to the west side (Classic Point) is reserved pretty much for special exhibits, past grand champions, and the like. The next few rows are reserved for the heavy twins (Beach 18's, Electras that we can't really fit in on the standard rows). The type club area is ACROSS THE ROAD in the field north of the ultralights and south of Aircraft Repair. Those spaces are only held through Sunday. Starting Monday morning, we start backfilling them with new (Vintage) arrivals.

The rules change from year to year, albeit sometimes slowly. For example, I've long complained that the areas reserved up front for "Parking only" was counter to the Oshkosh experience. Prior to this year, the rows from the Comm building (the beginning of Vintage) down about halfway to ultralights was no camping.
    This year, they told me to put campers anywhere they were otherwise legal to park.

If you want to complain, I can forward your comments to the chairmen. I can't see anybody changing the type club reservation policy, though. If nothing else it's actually EXPANDED over the past few years rather than being restricted.