Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Airventure 2016: My Favorite Things

Byron J. Covey

Airventure 2016: My Favorite Things

OK, we've discussed everything that was wrong with Airventure 2016, so now it is time to share fond memories of the convention.

Billy Henderson, long time EAA member, and the person who built Sun n Fun into a successful annual event, says that Sun n Fun is a gathering of people who all happen to like airplanes. I think that Billy has it right; for me, the annual EAA convention, aka Airventure, is about the people. My favorite thing from it was meeting people face to face that I have "met" on aviation forums. I even met Glory; delightful young lady, she is. I asked about her at the EAA tent, and someone contacted her and she came over to say "hello". Thank you for taking the time, Glory, I know that you were busy.

What were your favorite things at Airventure 2016?

BJC

Name:  OV-1.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  11.9 KBPeople, mostly the ones I have met at OSH the past 29 years, and this OV-1, inscribed with the individual names of over 1,600 MIA's
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

I didn't get to do 2016, but was there for 10 through 15. I enjoy the trip going there as much as anything. I like the anticipation of approaching RIPON etc. Landing and knowing my camp plan is all thought out so that it goes smooth.

I love that if I go by myself which I most often do, I can simply say hello to whoever is camped next to me and immediately have something in common with them, airplanes.

I love the how to seminars. I love seeing what is new in the vendors area. I just like the entire atmosphere. I don't care what your niche in aviation is, there has to be something you would enjoy.

I enjoy the helpful, friendly people.

I enjoy sitting by the runway watching arrivals while drinking an adult beverage.

I enjoy waking up at the crack of dawn, seeing a beautiful sunrise viewed across the top of a thousand airplanes and tents.

I enjoy the fly-market. Even the non-aviation junk is fun to eyeball.

I enjoy a great night of sleep in a tent following a day of too much sun, too much walking, and a beer or two with friends at the end of the day.

You are right about the anticipation Rick. I love the trips to the sporting goods stores in May and June looking for the must have items for the camping trip.
    My favorite is the first few days before the convention really ramps up, when all I have to do all day is sit in the shade and watch airplanes land. It really doesn't get much better than that.

Many highlights this year...seeing Doolittle Raider Dick Cole, who's almost 101 years old, speak three times, and getting an autographed copy of his book, and meeting two fellow Doolittle enthusiasts while waiting for his presentation. Seeing the Pearl Harbor vets interviewed at Theater in the Woods, followed by the Tora Tora Tora performance. Seeing Tora Tora Tora again on Saturday. Watching "The Final Countdown" at the Fly-In Theater. The library book sale. Meeting a nice couple and their young son at a food tent, and having a long chat about cats, and the little boy telling me to meet them at the same place next year for lunch. Deciding not to go get a beer with my brother and his family, and therefore meeting a WWII ball turret gunner who was walking around Boeing Plaza wearing his original flight jacket.

Stopping in the new VAA bookstore and seeing the owner of the airport where my brother learned to fly over 30 years ago. The nice people at the A and W stands who will give me ice for my soda. Having the pilot of a Beaver waggle his wings on departure Sunday as my nephew and I waved from the south end of 18. Landon the ultralight tram driver who stopped for me at the end of a long day and gave me a ride to the ultralight barn gate. Having a piece of FiFi's birthday cake. Seeing That's All Brother.

Someone on one of the vintage pages described Oshkosh as an aviation Brigadoon. It really is. I just hope that the topless gal in the body paint won't reappear next year.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Byron J. Covey View Post
    OK, we've discussed everything that was wrong with Airventure 2016, so now it is time to share fond memories of the convention.

Billy Henderson, long time EAA member, and the person who built Sun n Fun into a successful annual event, says that Sun n Fun is a gathering of people who all happen to like airplanes. I think that Billy has it right; for me, the annual EAA convention, aka Airventure, is about the people. My favorite thing from it was meeting people face to face that I have "met" on aviation forums. I even met Glory; delightful young lady, she is. I asked about her at the EAA tent, and someone contacted her and she came over to say "hello". Thank you for taking the time, Glory, I know that you were busy.

What were your favorite things at Airventure 2016?

BJC
    Great meeting you as well!

Saturday thru Saturday I volunteered as a tram conductor - yep, the guy in the rear seat yapping on a microphone. Telling jokes, pointing out airplanes of interest along the way, and thoroughly enjoying meeting and chatting with folks from all over this great planet who share one common interest.

I've been doing it for several years now and have already booked my rooms for next year with one additional day on site.. Never been up in a private plane but I DO luv aviation - for ME it's a thrill just to be around them and enjoy the company of some MIGHTY fine people....OK there was one jerk on my last day who didn't want to yield his seat to folks waiting in line... but one jerk out of thousands of happy airplane nuts transported is darn fine odds.

I got to meet a couple Tuskegee airmen, and buy a bracelet for my daughter at the Gay Pilots booth in hangar D. Walked the immaculate grounds -real airplane people don't litter.....ever.... and just enjoyed the wonder of it all. I'm already counting the days till I can return - and slowly saving up a little each week to be able to afford to go back.

Time to sign off and fire up Microsoft Flight Sim X- probably the closest I'll ever get at 67 yrs old to the real thing. lol
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 08-29-2016 at 11:26 AM.

I'll let the pictures do the talking.Name:  DSC_8523.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  90.8 KBName:  DSC_8106.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  99.3 KBName:  DSC_8307.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  92.1 KB

If there really was a "topless lady in body paint" I am sure there were the usual lot of photographers around. Please post some photos so that the rest of us can asses this problem and join in any outrage that is needed.