Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sully

When my engine threw a rod and I landed in a field, at first I prided myself in doing things right, the way I was taught. Then I went through the "what could I have done better?" stages, analyzing what I did, how I did it, the mistakes I made that I had to overcome, etc. I didn't have the NTSB or FAA breathing down my neck with alternatives, but I concocted my own alternatives.

So yeah, it's a normal process of investigation, whether formal via the NTSB or informal, sitting in the airplane after an event, to rehash it and figure out what could have been done better--in case the situation arises again.

Cary
    "I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...,
    put out my hand and touched the face of God." J.G. Magee

Correction and credit where credit is due.

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    <snip> The fact that all of Sully & Stiles' passengers and crew survived should essentially be the key factor. <snip>
    For the record the FO was Jeffrey B. Skiles not Stiles.

If they had llittle or no power, they were not going to get far. If they tried to make it back to the takeoff airport and are short then they would have gone in to a congested area and probably lost everyone on the plane as well as people on the ground, especially with the full fuel load.
    It was fortunate that the river was there, and that they had the skill and judgement to safely go into the water as well as anyone could have touched down.
    I think they did a great job.

If you have the opportunity to hear Jeff Skiles speak, do not pass it up. When working for EAA he did a tour of chapters. Great speaker, great sense of humor, very down to earth, and after he did the EAA talk, and the first person asked "What was it like to land in the Hudson River", he offered a great perspective on the landing and the subsequent experience. His writing for the magazine is great too.

Best of luck,

Wes
    N78PS

And just because I can...did you here the one about the cocktail named after Sullenberger?

The Sully
    Two shots Grey Goose vodka
    Splash of water

;-)
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

Banned
    Saw the movie yesterday. It is very well done and well told, the acting of the key leads is superb and the accuracy of the actual flying(in the A320 and the recreation Sims)scenes is executed with unusual realism and attention to detail. I particularly liked the non-linear storytelling style which keeps the viewer involved in the drama that is unfolding from start to finish.

Sully and Skiles had 2 moments of extreme crisis, adversity and hardship to successfully overcome--one in the air and one in front of the doubting, second guessing NTSB. The only flaw in my opinion is that the movie does not set out and make clear the timeline of the investigation. Was it over a period of just a few days or weeks/months after the controlled ditching(notice I did not say crash)?

Don't believe everything you see...

http://www.usnews.com/news/politics/...in-sully-movie
    Jim Hann
    EAA 276294 Lifetime
    Vintage 722607
    1957 Piper PA-22/20 "Super Pacer"
    Chapter 32 member www.eaa32.org
    www.mykitlog.com/LinerDrivr
    Fly Baby/Hevle Classic Tandem

Or read.

Investigations take months. During that time theories are formulated, options explored, coulda, woulda, shoulda opinions appear, people take sides, agendas are misinterpreted. The crew in the incident didn't have the luxury of months of time to evaluate and choose more desirable options. They had to evaluate and act, processing information faster than some of the super computers in the world. That's where good training enters the picture. It's relatively easy to retroactively look at an aviation accident/incident and see where an airman was well trained or not so well trained. Sometimes, the conclusion (good or bad) is of the airman's own making. I think that is what the NTSB looks for in an investigation- are we taking care of business in the cockpit or falling short? Did the airman make it better or worse? Sully has said his training and experience over the long term prepared him for the day he landed in the Hudson. I would have to agree. The fact is there were no fatalities and that remains true regardless how the event is interpreted.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post
    Jim, I'm compelled to say right back at ya. The news item you quote is the viewpoint of the lead NTSB investigator just like the movie has it's own viewpoint of events. No more, no less. The movie however, is based on the book written by Sully and Sully himself has said the movie interprets facts and events as they occurred during and after the the ditching including the investigation.

This is not a he said/he said situation. There is a CVR, a FDR, the real life human pilots who survived in tact, an airframe and engines that survived almost intact, and thousands of pages of transcripts of the investigation to mull over when you've got a year of spare time to read it. When all is said and done, my instincts compel me to go with the the human equations over the computer, digital, mechanical simulations all the time. One of the major themes of the film is the human reliance on machines and how that can be a false and deadly occurrence as well as lead to wrongful conclusions and judgements. I don't want to be a spoiler for all those that haven't seen the move yet so I'll just leave it at this: the viewer will not be left with only a negative impression of the investigators. I think it's balance and nuanced.
    Last edited by Floatsflyer; 09-12-2016 at 11:03 AM.

Face it... we're pilots. You have to know that if you ever end up in the left seat of an airliner slowly sinking into the Hudson river, within a few miles of several airports, it doesn't matter how much of a miracle it was, or that everyone is alive, or anything else. You got some 'splaining to do. And I don't think any of us would want the investigators to take a quick look and say, "Well, he seems like a pretty good guy, we'll just assume that splashing a $97 million dollar airplane stuffed full of paying passengers was the right move". Maybe you were totally right, and maybe you'll get a huge pat on the back when it's all said and done, but there are going to be some really tough questions asked... and a lot of arm-chair quarterbacking done.